• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Added fuel shutoff

Katavic918

I was inspired by Rustystud to add a fuel shutoff as an additional line of defense against a run away. I used a 3/8 yor-lok valve with compression sleeves. I also added a 15" handle extension. The zip ties are there to give it a professional look.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have some concerns with the size of the handle and vibration shutting the fuel off, when you don't want it shut off.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For runaway response, close to the engine/fuel destination is far better than at the fuel tank.

However, ANYWHERE in the fuel supply line would be a good theft deterrent so long as the means of activation is "out of sight - out of mind'.

Lots of good ideas in other threads on both purposed fuel flow interrupting devices.

Carry on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself I just check the fuel control on a truck I do not know. But the up grade is synflex line so IF I was to worry about a quick fuel kill then just run the synflex to the firewall and have a valve down by your foot or there abouts and the valve/leaver in the cab. Easy and quick no pissing in you shorts as you run around the truck.

MCTNKR

I thought a runaway was caused by the engine drawing crankcase oil mist through the breather or past worn rings or worn turbo seals and running on this scavenged oil? Not saying that an additional fuel shut off is a bad idea, but thinking that it will stop a true runaway condition is misleading. The only way I know of stopping a runaway is cutting off the air supply, using CO2 to smother the engine, or dropping the clutch in 5th gear.

daytonatrbo

I thought a runaway was caused by the engine drawing crankcase oil mist through the breather or past worn rings or worn turbo seals and running on this scavenged oil? Not saying that an additional fuel shut off is a bad idea, but thinking that it will stop a true runaway condition is misleading. The only way I know of stopping a runaway is cutting off the air supply, using CO2 to smother the engine, or dropping the clutch in 5th gear.
There are cases where issues in the injection pump have caused an engine to go WOT with bad consequences.

Katavic918

Most runaways are fuel related.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The run away is caused by the operator of a multifuel not checking the fuel control under the shut down cover. Even if it is free and working good it should be a once a year check on it moving free. The truck was running correct last year and I went to start it and it ran away what do I do. You should have removed the two screws on the shut down cover and checked the fuel control because it is a multifuel and we can check for a fuel control problem.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea or real easy just buy a electric fuel shut down and install the switch under the dash. No brainer as Razor would say. I have one on one of my cranes and came standard with it.

Katavic918

The run away is caused by the operator of a multifuel not checking the fuel control under the shut down cover. Even if it is free and working good it should be a once a year check on it moving free. The truck was running correct last year and I went to start it and it ran away what do I do. You should have removed the two screws on the shut down cover and checked the fuel control because it is a multifuel and we can check for a fuel control problem.
I guess that's why lawn ornaments have the most problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks