• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a pintle hitch and trailer for my 1986 m1009

kimco

I am thinking of picking up something like a M105A2 Cargo Trailer. My CUCV does not currently have a pintle hitch, so I would need to purchase one and mount it.What recomendations for purchasing a pintle hitch?Are there any issues with a CUCV pulling a trailer in the M105A2 category?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't make that mistake!

The M105 is not compatible with a M1009.

Edit, the trailer by itself is 2650lbs with no brakes

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
:ditto: m1009 with an m105a2.
m105a2.jpg
If your blazer still has the stock hitch setup then any standard pintle will bolt on. However it is rated only for a light trailer.

kimco

Still has what I assume is the stock hitch setup, will take a picture and post. I put my license plate in that spot.
I see the weight issue, is there a military trailer that does work with the CUCV?

GVWR5,750 Lbs.
Curb Weight2,750 Lbs.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Originally the m1009 was listed with a towing capacity of 3000lbs, and listed to tow the m101 series trailers.
m101a2
DSC05962.jpg
The later editions of the TM say only m416 trailers should be towed with the m1009. I've never seen an official document with the reason, but most people here on SS say it's the hitch that is the limiting factor.
m416a1
DSC05958.jpg

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try to find an M101 for your blazer. As said above M105 wouldn't be the best choice.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put on an aftermarket receiver type hitch. That removes the poor bumper design on the original pintle. Get a Pintle based receiver assembly and get a M101 trailer.

Best of all worlds.

You have a normal receiver hitch now
you have the best trailer of all

cucvrus

I think the bumper design was a great thing when it was new. But I have seen how rusty the drawbars are on the bottom of the hitch assembly. I made several new ones and replaced the ones on my M1009's even with the new hitch attached and using 1/2" bolts. I swelled the hitch and tweaked the bumper using a Bubba rope and a lot of force during the blizzard of 2016. I do recommend using the aftermarket frame mounted hitch. And if you want it really strong go up thru both frame flanges and put crush pipes in. I hauled rocks in the Crown of Thorns M1009 and bent the hitch while I was coming out of the field with it. I have since reinforced the hitch where I had to notch it for the drawbar on the pintle. Very strong now. Be safe. Tow the M416 if you are unsure of the condition of the frame and drawbar.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just go to a class v hitch. Take a 20,000lb pintle receiver plate. Weld a 1/2" or 5/8" steel plate to it with a rear brace down to the receiver. Then bolt your pintle hitch to the plate. Make sure the overall pintle height is 34inches off the ground. Screenshot_2017-01-13-21-15-14.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks