• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a pony motor to a M936

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Has anyone done it? I have seen talk of people wanting to but have not come across anything where someone has. I ask because right now my wrecker is down for busted cylinder liners and I'm hoping to replace them and be good to go, but, if for some reason that does not fix it and I have to do an engine swap, I'm dead in the water. I do not own another piece of equipment that can lift the weight of the engine. So, I thought "If I could run the hydraulics for the crane off a pony motor, the truck could swap it's own engine, GENIUS!!!"

If no one has actually done it, then I'm looking for other info, such as, what rpm does the pump need to turn, what kind of HP would be required to spin it and suggestions on small diesel engines (so I could plumb into the trucks fuel system) that might fit the bill.

Begin discussion.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wait, those pics on FB were of the wrecker's engine? It's a NHC 250 right? What happened?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't think you could go wrong using an MEP002 motor. They are diesel, made to run for duration, air cooled, and lots of parts are out there. The only down side I see would be physical size.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There was a 125(10 ton) with a 816 bed that had a pony motor mounted behind the operator basket to run the hyds., So if that worked, I do not see why your idea will not work.

How far are you from Gainesville ??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was for a one time use(changing your engine), you could improvise and use something like your tractor(with loader) or a wood-splitter or whatever you can source, and plumb it into the hydraulics.

Just don't over pressurize the system.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of a smaller power unit to run the hydraulics, permanently mounted on-board.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Wait, those pics on FB were of the wrecker's engine? It's a NHC 250 right? What happened?
Yes, pretty sure I mentioned that. Yes NHC250. Noticed coolant in oil, drained oil, had chunks stuck to drain plug, dropped pan found many more chunks, #2 and #4 liners are busted. Engine ran fine, wouldn't have known there was a problem if it wasn't for the coolant in the oil.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
There was a 125(10 ton) with a 816 bed that had a pony motor mounted behind the operator basket to run the hyds., So if that worked, I do not see why your idea will not work.

How far are you from Gainesville ??
I live just north of Macon, less than a mile off I-75.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I like the idea of a smaller power unit to run the hydraulics, permanently mounted on-board.
I would like it to be a permanent thing, I can think of a few reasons why, less wear and tear on the main engine, less fuel to run crane, probably quieter operation, can use hydraulics while moving the truck(think rear winch).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just trying to understand your comment. It's easy to upload from a computer, it's easy to upload from tapatalk on mobile devices. What's so bad about it? Seriously, I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to improve it.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Just trying to understand your comment. It's easy to upload from a computer, it's easy to upload from tapatalk on mobile devices. What's so bad about it? Seriously, I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to improve it.
I don't want to have to purchace an app to upload pics from my tablet, I didn't used to have a problem. And using a regular computer takes longer than I have patience for so I usually have Mahala do it and even she says it's a long drawn out process. And I don't know if it is the site or not but ever since the last thing you did to it around the Ga rally time frame we can't even post a comment on a thread at work, can see everything and browse but can't post, have to use my tablet or phone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a brief second, I'll go off track. I can't use tapatalk. Says I need to contact the administrator for permissions or something like that. I gave up on it!

Csm Davis

I had this same problem and had to reload tap talk to get it to work but like you said worked before whatever was done during the rally. As to the 936 guys I am sorry to hear that motor is giving you more trouble. I like the pony motor idea maybe behind the passenger side fuel tank? Wonder how many horsepower it will need to be? Might could run a generator and air compressor off of it also.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this same problem and had to reload tap talk to get it to work but like you said worked before whatever was done during the rally. As to the 936 guys I am sorry to hear that motor is giving you more trouble. I like the pony motor idea maybe behind the passenger side fuel tank? Wonder how many horsepower it will need to be? Might could run a generator and air compressor off of it also.
I have a bucket truck that has a tandem generator/hydraulic pump that runs everything. The truck engine is shut down and the pony runs everything. The hydraulics are too small on this one for a wrecker but I can get pics of the setup for ideas.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't want to have to purchace an app to upload pics from my tablet, I didn't used to have a problem. And using a regular computer takes longer than I have patience for so I usually have Mahala do it and even she says it's a long drawn out process. And I don't know if it is the site or not but ever since the last thing you did to it around the Ga rally time frame we can't even post a comment on a thread at work, can see everything and browse but can't post, have to use my tablet or phone.
But tapatalk is free now? What size are the pics you're trying to upload? If you're trying to upload 14 megapixal images, it's going to naturally take a long time. As to the work thing, the server has been replaced. So the IP has changed. Are you getting an error or something?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
The wife and I were brainstorming last night and she came up with an idea that I think is brilliant. Instead of trying to mount an engine somewhere to drive the pump, mount an electric motor to drive the pump and mount a diesel generator where ever it is easiest to access. Think about it, the elecric motor would be way easier to locate due to the smaller size, speed would be infinatly adjustable, plus you would have a generator to run other equipment off of, like a welder or plasma cutter.

Thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks