• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a Third Brake Light to M1009

tgtaylor64

I just bought a low-profile LED third brake light and want to mount it on top of my M1009. It has two wires: black and yellow. How do I connect this to my truck? I already have a 4-pin trailer towing cable hooked in and thought it may be easier to just connect to that. I thought it would be really easy but I cannot keep the new light from blinking when the turn signal is on! What am I missing?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake lights and blinkers are powered on the same wire going to the rear of the truck . To power a 3rd light you need to run a wire from the brake light switch ( on the brake pedal assembly) and a wire to ground.

cucvrus

Cool thing is the third brake light will flash when you have the 4 ways on. That is when you hook it up to the brake pedal switch. Works well with out any issues.

rsh4364

A little bling action on the 1009s is kinda neat,especially with a really nice body.When I redo my 86 the body will be super straight and painted in a matte gloss paint.It will be camo though.I grew up in a body shop and if it wasn't straight it didn't get paint.Nice job on that third brake light,but I would like to recess mine into the tailgate.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

I'd like a 3rd light because my dirt bike on the back blocks a decent amount of the regular lights. I think I'd like mine recessed into the Fiberglass top or just at the top of the window.