• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adding air horn auxillary air tank to a m939

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my neck of the woods, we have this little party called "Mardi Gras"

My truck is in a couple of parades. These parades are walking speed as there is bands and cheerleaders etc.

When riding my brakes at a crawl and blowing the horn excessively ( noise ok during mardi gras :) ) I can run down my air pressure.

I thought about adding an extra m939 air tank to the inside of the bed on the headboard and plumbing nylon tubing.

The present air line to the air horns comes from the air governor. I was going to run that line to the auxiliary air tank and then tank to the air horn. I have in my spares an air brake check valve and a pressure protection valve. Should I use both/either one and how should I plumb?

Anyone also added an air tank to increase air? Welcome thoughts from those experienced and wiser in this endeavor.

Thanks!

Csm Davis

Juan have you made it so you can go in low range without being in 6x6? You could also use a extra air tank hooked up to the gladhand. I do this to increase air for running the 3/4" impact.

Last edited:

R Racing

I'm thinking the extra air tank initially will do what you want . But im thinking after the air drops you might be in the same boat with the air compressor trying to play catch up and having issues. Have you thought about buying a gas air compressor in the bed and back feeding the system with a aux tank?

Adding a tank will help some .But your still running low RPM on the compressor . This could be a good time to buy a gas powered compressor to use at home and bolt in the bed for parades .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Juan have you made it so you can go in low range without being in 6x6? You could also use a extra air tank hooked up to the gladhand. I do this to increase air for running the 3/4" impact.
No I have not.

Would it matter if I used the front or rear gladhand? Front being easier from where i am thinking of mounting it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking the extra air tank initially will do what you want . But im thinking after the air drops you might be in the same boat with the air compressor trying to play catch up and having issues. Have you thought about buying a gas air compressor in the bed and back feeding the system with a aux tank?
that is why I was wandering if the check valve or ppv valve would help?

R Racing

A friend had his compressor go out ( it was actually his unloader valve ) ,to get the truck home he put a gas air compressor in the bed , and fed it through is rear red glad hand.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my M818 set up. It's not full air brakes, but here's some ideas.

The horn is a Nathan P3. The tank is an aluminum DOT approved 8.5 gal plumbed with 1/2" DOT nylon air brake tubing and push-to-connect fittings from the dry tank. The tank is mounted vertically behind the cab on the utility boxes (custom installed double stack). The horn is actuated with the classic Graham-White metering valve through the same 1/2" tubing through the firewall into the engine compartment.

SDC11933.jpgSDC11930.jpgSDC11932.jpgSDC12234.jpg

I can sound the horn quite extensively with out losing much air pressure at all.

dawico

A friend had his compressor go out ( it was actually his unloader valve ) ,to get the truck home he put a gas air compressor in the bed , and fed it through is rear red glad hand.
I did the same thing and it worked well.

It probably isn't the best idea if people will be riding in the bed though.

quickfarms

Riding your brakes is a real bad thing.

You are better off to use the low range that way the truck will idle at a crawling speed and you actually have to use some throttle to make walking speed. In a parade running in low range the compressor does not cycle at all, but I do not use the air horns because the bands are competing.