• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding ATF to your diesel fuel?

Bighorn

Why would you want to add ATF to your diesel fuel?
It works well as a clean way to fill a fresh fuel filter (provided the atf containers are new and unopened).
Just curious why you want to add ATF specifically or is it just to burn it up?

Dock Rocker

Why would you want to add ATF to your diesel fuel?
It works well as a clean way to fill a fresh fuel filter (provided the atf containers are new and unopened).
Just curious why you want to add ATF specifically or is it just to burn it up?
These Older diesel engines were not designed for ultra low sulfur diesel. They need a little lubrication in the fuel that does not exist in the new were fuels. I generally use two-stroke oil as it was designed to be burned but many people use ATF with great success.You certainly won’t hurt it if you get the correct dosage. Chances are you will prolong the life of your injector pump by using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorn

These Older diesel engines were not designed for ultra low sulfur diesel. They need a little lubrication in the fuel that does not exist in the new were fuels. I generally use two-stroke oil as it was designed to be burned but many people use ATF with great success.You certainly won’t hurt it if you get the correct dosage. Chances are you will prolong the life of your injector pump by using it.

Ahh. Thanks.
I am using a Stanadyne additive for the same reason.
But I bet ATF is cheaper.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why use the right stuff, when you can use something else...:deadhorse:

I've been building potato batteries, I think the bed will hold enough to crank a cucv. Probably need a trailer if you have a 1009.

Dock Rocker

Why use the right stuff, when you can use something else...:deadhorse:

I've been building potato batteries, I think the bed will hold enough to crank a cucv. Probably need a trailer if you have a 1009.
You can make an argument but my experience is different. I have 4 Diesel engines around the house all but the newest with high hours and using 2 stroke oil I have never had an IP failure or any other issue for that matter other than normal consumables.

Are there better things out there? Most likely. Has my method been successful? Definitely.

You can make an argument but my experience is different. I have 4 Diesel engines around the house all but the newest with high hours and using 2 stroke oil I have never had an IP failure or any other issue for that matter other than normal consumables.

Are there better things out there? Most likely. Has my method been successful? Definitely.

You can really only make that an assumption. Without a side by side comparison with other diesel engines of the same make and brand running on straight #2 you really can't prove anything.

Bighorn

#1 and #2 Diesel contain 15ppm of Sulphur.
There is absolutely no difference in Sulphur content between them.
The only difference is the paraffin content.
I just bought and had delivered 2,000 gallons of diesel for our winter operations here.
504 gallons of it was #1
1,496 gallons of it was #2
Both of them were listed as 15ppm Sulphur content.
Our distributor added dye and a Theil (Stanadyne) additive

Take it straight from the Phillips 66 corporation; ALL DIESEL THESE DAYS THAT YOU CAN BUY IS ULTRA LOW SULPHUR at 15ppm.
Forget the fantasy of mixing dyed diesel to get more Sulphur.
You want more Sulphur or to improve the lubricity, you need to add it yourself.

Dock Rocker

You can really only make that an assumption. Without a side by side comparison with other diesel engines of the same make and brand running on straight #2 you really can't prove anything.
That’s why I stated in my experience. I was in no way saying it was scientific in any way. I use it and I have very healthy high hour engines. That is my point.

REDWOLF

I just had 7 or 8 new quarts of ford ATF someone gave me. I knew I had read on here about adding it to your diesel for lubercation. I usually use diesel clean but figured I had these why not use it for the lubercant in place of the diesel clean. Just was not sure if it mattered what kind of ATF.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just had 7 or 8 new quarts of ford ATF someone gave me. I knew I had read on here about adding it to your diesel for lubercation. I usually use diesel clean but figured I had these why not use it for the lubercant in place of the diesel clean. Just was not sure if it mattered what kind of ATF.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Careful... if it's not the right kind it might make your engine shift differently. rofl

Bighorn

Why not just use an actual lubricity additive like Optilube that is proven (even a thread on this site someplace) to have real benefits?
Seems random to just use ATF.
I know an oldtimer mechanic that used it to prime new fuel filters for diesels to prevent an airlock and supposedly clean things out in the fuel system.
Also prevented pouring diesel from a container that may have dirt or moisture in it.
Smoked like a son of a gun until the ATF got washed out of the filter.

Dock Rocker

Why not just use an actual lubricity additive like Optilube that is proven (even a thread on this site someplace) to have real benefits?
Seems random to just use ATF.
I know an oldtimer mechanic that used it to prime new fuel filters for diesels to prevent an airlock and supposedly clean things out in the fuel system.
Also prevented pouring diesel from a container that may have dirt or moisture in it.
Smoked like a son of a gun until the ATF got washed out of the filter.
I was say coat ha quite a bit to do with it. Most places already have ATF laying around. I use two stroke oil on older diesels because it much cheaper and it works.

cucvrus

I have a QT of the red dye. I used to be required to add it to 2 cycle fuel so that it was identified. That stopped when the new Stihls were having problems with the dye inside the carb's. That and when I stopped being the mixer. I would put a capful in a 5 gallon can of mixed fuel. When I was not there somebody poured some in. Thinking good enough. Looked like pure blood when I went to get the Stihl back. All the 2 cycle stuff was damaged. I went back to mixing. Then we sub contracted the grounds maintenance. But I know the dye I had 1 QT for 10 years easily. A little of that goes a long way. I bought trucks that had red fuel in them and it was still tinted 10 fuel tanks later.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mix two stoke oil and diesel at 50 to 1. The M814 loves it, runs cooler. Every so often, I will get soot and ash under high idle, but it stops after a while.

cucvrus

I run what ever comes out of the diesel pump at Speedway and Loves. My Son would pour a gallon of drain oil in his M1028A1 truck at every fill up. He never had any adverse conditions that I know of. 20 years ago I added used ATF and never noticed anything different. My Son drove his M1028A1 from Camp Lejeune to home once a month for over a year. He used all the drain oil we had around. Now I give it away to a guy with a waste oil furnace. Just run straight diesel. Not a chain saw. Too much or not enough is out of the equation this way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks