• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding aux gauges to an M1009

Jetnoise400

Hello All,

I'm more than a bit uncomfortable trusting my truck's mechanical well being to a set of red lights, so I've decided I'd like to add a real oil pressure and water temp gauge.

I'm sure some of you have already done this, and I'm looking for feedback about mechanical vs. electric, and where the senders would be best installed to keep the original lights working and have true gauges as well.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

dilvoy

I've always thought that gauges were the way to go, but idiot lights are nice. I think there are some after market gauges that have an idioit light built into them so you can have the appropriate sender light it up. I think the oil pressure is the one that is the most important. There are some small led's in variors colors that are used in making hot rod dashes and I have used them to good effect for turn signal and an idioit light that was supplimenting a gauge. I like using a mechanical gauge for oil pressure, but they are not necessarily more accurate than electric gauges. They have no time lag like an electric gauge has and with oil pressure I like to know right away.

mangus580

For the oil pressure, you can just put a T where the original sending unit is. The water sending unit is a little tougher... I have considered making a custom plate for the back of the pass side head, where the T-stat x-over would be if it were on the front.

Armada

I added a mechanical temp gage so far. I mounted it just to the left of the factory volt meter. It's the same dia gage and fits perfect there, and looks factory. You can splice the gage light into the light for the voltmeter.
Mounting the sender is easy too. On the inside rear of the heads, there is a port on each side. (Same spot Mike is talking about). The left side port is used for the idiot light. The right side has a block off plate on it. You can still order the threaded plate from GM that is used on the left side. Get that, and the gasket, and mount the sender for the gage there. After it's mounted, start the engine and warm it up, and just loosen the sender in that port enough to bleed of any air that may be trapped. Works perfect.
You may even have access to a scrapped motor that you could pull that part off of. When I get home, I'll try to find the part numbers for you, but the parts counter guy should be able to find it for you.

mutt1966

One that is being overlooked Trans-Temp gauge.
That and the Oil Pressure gauge are at the top of my list
as the first I installed when I brought home the first M1009.
Scott Outt

ida34

I would go closest to the trans. My excursion has a threaded bung on the side of the tranny that most use to get the tranny temp.

mutt1966

I used the Trans Temp gauge made by B&M I think it was around $40.00
But the most important part is a aftermarket Trans Cooler the bigger the
better, the one that GM uses is just uslass in my opion that based on the
$6000.00 it cost me good wrench trans's until I found a trans guy that
told me GM should have been sued for useing that setup.
Scott out

Jetnoise400

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I was also planning for a trans temp gauge as well.. I just didn't want to open that can of worms at the same time :D Oh well, too late.

Thanks again!

ida34

I got on Autometer's website and they have a manifold type arrangement to install the sender for the trans temp in the line to the cooler. It looks like they have several types of adapters for installing sending units easily.

cucvrus

While we are digging up the dead. I wanted to point out I was told that the transmission fluid temperature is best to know at the pan. That is the current temperature of the fluid that the transmission is ingesting at that moment. Made sense to me. I never went ahead and installed a gauge there. But they do sell TH400 transmission pans with provisions for the sending unit. Old thread yes it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks