• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding Differential Oil

Zepol95

Hello,

I recently have been doing a general workover on my Deuce. I bought this 2 years ago to help me out in the soft southwest soft sand at the lake because I was tired of tearing up my F350.

I have to admit, I was totally lost when I bought this, and I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance. I have tackled many jobs thanks to the wonderful TM's - axel boots, airpak, bleeding brake lines (that was FUN!), adding air assist steering, changing oil and adding the spin on filters, etc...BUT, I am stopped solid on my rear axel.

I had a small leak from the center of the hub that was splasing all around the wheel when travelling far distances (> 120 miles)..and it wasn't that bad...but being conscious about it, I checked the hub and found all the bolts were loose. I went ahead and tightened up all of the bolts, and it stopped the oil from splashing all around the wheel....BUT, I loosened it a little first, and a fair amoint of what I think diff oil came out....looking great.. Now I am concerned I don't have enough...

I want to add some more oil, but good god is all the paint and rustproofing coating making this a task..I don't want to hit the screws with an impact wrench, and I can't take it off with a breaker bar..

Can I cheat and just put some oil in through the vent hole???

Before everyone jumps my case for not doign it right, bearings, etc etc was done 2 years ago...but I am not sure about the oil..I've got to transport this truck in about 2 days...time is limited..just checking if this is a quick fix to help.

Attachments

Zepol95

Thanks Westech, Thats what my worry was from filling from the vent hole...trust me, I feel bad even thinking it, but my fill plug with the 1/2" square has so much rustproofing and god knows how much paint over it..I can't get it loose..I even started to think that the threds are reversed...I can't get a tool to stay in the 1/2" square anymore..

I have had so many problems taking bolts off on this think that I eventually started just cutting bolts and putting on new ones anytime something is needed...

Any tips for taking that off? Just try to power through it??

Last edited:

Parker2

Thanks Westech, Thats what my worry was from filling from the vent hole...trust me, I feel bad even thinking it, but my fill plug with the 1/2" square has so much rustproofing and god knows how much paint over it..I can't get it loose..I even started to think that the threds are reversed...I can't get a tool to stay in the 1/2" square anymore..

I have had so many problems taking bolts off on this think that I eventually started just cutting bolts and putting on new ones anytime something is needed...

Any tips for taking that off? Just try to power through it??
What tool are you using in the 1/2" square?

Zepol95

I originally started using just the 1/2 square on my wranch, then I got a 3/4in adapter > 1/2in Square @ Harbor Freight for a breaker bar that I use regularly...am I using something wrong?

91W350

If you can recruit a partner, put some good pressure on it with a breaker bar, then smack the breaker with a hammer repeatedly, hit it so that it drives directly into the square. I have done it with a hydraulic jack and a hammer, but two guys seem to work better.

Zepol95

If you can recruit a partner, put some good pressure on it with a breaker bar, then smack the breaker with a hammer repeatedly, hit it so that it drives directly into the square. I have done it with a hydraulic jack and a hammer, but two guys seem to work better.

So smack the breaker so that its force is dirctly into the square? Does that seat the 1/2 driver better, or help to break the threads up a little?

So far, I am seeing I need to torch it and melt that paint/rustproof stuff off first, then just nail the driver into it directly? I can't wait to try this tonight!

Last edited:

1958 M274

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paint and rustproofing isn't that tough... Scrape and chip it away from the plug and out of the square with a chipping hammer, punch, chisel, etc. Have you tried using a 1/2" impact wrench?

Zepol95

Paint and rustproofing isn't that tough... Scrape and chip it away from the plug and out of the square with a chipping hammer, punch, chisel, etc. Have you tried using a 1/2" impact wrench?

I am afraid to hit it with an impact wrench because the 1/2in square is a little bigger than 1/2in...If I hit it with my impact wranch, THEN I'd be in trouble and would have to weld the bolt on it like previous post...

The reason I am concerned with paint and rustproofing is because of the experience I had putting the air assist steering on. I had to cut 3 bolts off because that crud wouldn't let it come off...not even with the impact..Its thick.

Zepol95

Thank you guys so much. I was able to finally get the troublesome fitting off...I ended up having to heat up everything, chisel away at stuff, and I was able to finally get it with my impact wrench...Oil had a good level..I was just freaking out.

Now, I discovered another problem while I was under there. I am going to feel so stupid, because I don't know what this is, I don't know if something is missing, and I don't know if this is supposed to be filled with oil...but my suspicion is I am in trouble. Take a look at the pictures...I am going to have to start a new thread:

Attachments

Clay James

That plug is inserted when fording to keep water out of the bell housing. It's either mounted next to the hole in it's own slot on some trucks or in the glove box door when it's not in use.

Zepol95

Thanks so much. I just found an old post that showed this...I posted onto that...What keeps dirt out? Why does so much oil come out after long trips?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure the vent on the trans is not plugged. I had to drain 20oz from my trans to keep the gear oil from spilling out the input shaft(there is no seal) and making the clutch slip.