• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adding gauges, where to plumb?

allenhillview

Hey how's it going? Check out my avatar. I'll do what I can. Do you want elec. or mech.? What brand of gauges? What size do want? Illum.(lighted)? I spent a year on this but i planned and researched a lot of do and don't things and why.

edpdx

corelokt, - Add a temp gauge to supplement the idiot light- it goes in nicely next to the Voltage meter. You'll also need to get GM part 14028949- Cover AY, Cylinder Head. See other threads for this part of the install. Picture of the part and where it goes.

Don't know about the other gauges you want to add.

jj

The oil pressure gauge sender can be tee'd into the existing port for the idiot light sender, i used brass fittings, 1/8" NPT. The water temperature sender is screwed into an adapter plate on the cylinder head at the rear. The same ports that the thermostat crossover attaches to at the front of the head. These adapter plates were available at the dealer. Just put a threaded adapter on the other head. The oil temperature senders, are usually recommended to be installed in the pan. That requires removing the pan and welding in a threaded bung. You could also tee the oil lines as they return to the engine. Might be just as accurate. Good Luck.

cucv1833

I just have oil pressure and water temp in mine. But i did not retain the dummy lights but all you would need is a tee. I installed it on the sending units on the driver side front and rear locations.

I do suggest in buying the sending unit socket to remove the sending units. It was the only way I could get the Oil pressure one off. I mounted my gauges were the radio is supposed to go. Sorry no pics.

Theres alot of Threads on this also.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gauges

There's a good pic in the TM's of the engine block and 'available' ports. We kept it simple and changed the water temp sending unit to attach an electrical temp gauge. It's a green wire, drivers side front of block next to the green wired glo plug.
The alternative I understand is passenger side top/back of block and will require drilling and tapping to add an additional sending unit.
We hooked the oil pressure gauge to the sampling port near the rad. The alternative is drivers side back of block and requires sending unit change.

Easiest spot to monitor Voltage came from the fuse panel.

You're jumping on a noble undertaking keeping things original, excellent. It was my first thought too then after realizing the 'down time', keep it simple took over.

Adding a trani temp gauge is very logical and hot temps can be managed by a trani cooler. This one bolts on easy and is managed by an illuminated 'green' toggle powering a 4 point relay.

The challenge I found was keeping things organized under the dash. We added a ground bar to tie in multiple grounds and a power bar to run multiple low amp draws from. Once you start pulling wire and tubing through the firewall you may find that rubber grommets and a few more holes will be needed. It just makes things cleaner in an already crowded dash. We found "un loomed" wires running through the firewall that had the casings worn off from vibration.

The lights on the gauges and volt meter love to be grounded and the 6.2 vibration loves to shake things loose so put things where you can get at them to constantly re-torque. I took a little 'you tube' course on how to solder and all wire to wire connections were soldered.

We added a tach yesterday and after you lay on your back under the dash it is so rewarding getting it done.

Temp, oil pressure and volt meter cluster $49.95

Attachments

allenhillview

1toncucv, curious if they are electric or mechanical, nice job by-the-way,mine are just like those gauges-mech. in fuction.

I also pick up a port just above the oil filter for pressure, I just had to leave the truck stock didn't lose any idiots lights in the install.

Water Temp. was done at water pump, there is a 1/2" NPT left of center. I did a trial when replaced water pump, check clearances, it's not even in the same tunnel as the water pump, pump fins, great place you can actually watch thermostat open if you have a full sweep gauge,

Trans was done in line with new AN stuff

Oil Temp. now that was difficult since I also wanted in-line,( hydro. fitting store), machine shop, lathe, brazing, AN fittings, but still managed to keep all oil lines stock can remove any of mine in a few minutes

Last edited:
There's a small plug just above the oil cooler lines, I'll try that for oil temp. The other intake port cover will get d&t'd for the coolant temp. Oil pressure will be a "T" at the current sending unit. Just leaves transmission temp.

allenhillview

There's a small plug just above the oil cooler lines, I'll try that for oil temp. The other intake port cover will get d&t'd for the coolant temp. Oil pressure will be a "T" at the current sending unit. Just leaves transmission temp.
Just a note on that, mine worked great but make sure you use low profile stuff, bushing, close radius 90, then you will not have to remove that oil line next to it. I wanted to be able also to replace any part of that line anytime, I put a fuel line hose on over for heat protection in that area. Made a small wire loom clamp, took out one bolt from oil cooler line clamp made it two for one.

Mine are mechanical, I broke first water temp gauge trying to shorten probe, going into head, had to order Autometer probe ext. Still working on connecting the others, would you by chance have a pic of probe for oil temp and in line trans? And I do apologize if this seems to be highjacking thread..

allenhillview

Mine are mechanical, I broke first water temp gauge trying to shorten probe, going into head, had to order Autometer probe ext. Still working on connecting the others, would you by chance have a pic of probe for oil temp and in line trans? And I do apologize if this seems to be highjacking thread..
Yes, I think there is one in my photo album, just go to my profile I'll check too. Yes there is one there a decent one as well anything I can to help I will. Oil is on top in pic, trans on bottom. Ext. was not needed, even though I did order one, didn't use, sent it back that thing was 26.00, I did return on oil, feed on trans, why? just wanted to use this as monitor for later aux add on for coolers but I needed a base line to start to see what temps were. If you use that big tee it perfect for probe fits half way down in flow-through. Autometer worked great with me, sent attachments of actual probe size laying on a dollar bill. I brought new AN stuff in for trans looped over top of trans housing built hangers, Stainless -6 lines. If you do that tee on oil don't decrease ID in that area of manifolds (thats what I call them) probe ports. I'll go for now, 1toncucv that took alot of phone time and planning we have a pretty nice farm shop here it's handy, One last thing those bump tube o-rings were're a pita to work around and stay stock,let me know how you do?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks