• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding lights to the service light switch

Gonzomatic

I am in the process of adding four 100watt off road lights to the DR. She'll have two forward facing and two rearward facing and they will be on separate switches.

This is all very basic stuff, but I would like to retain the service light kill switch function in this install.

I am planning to use two of the the LMC wiring kits
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=85

I could just hack into the wiring on the back of the switch, but I'm wondering if anyone (cough, cough, Doghead) has a more graceful solution.

I would like to keep the truck stockish and be able to remove the lights in the future with no, shall we say, Mickey Mouse residue.

I am looking for two of the service light toggle switches as well if anyone has any leads.

She is a stock 86 1008 named the DR because that was what was crudely spray painted on each front fender when I bought her.

Thanks in advance

cpf240

If it were me, I think I'd wire a relay off one of the wires that is 'hot' out of the Service/B.O. light switch when in Service mode. Then have that relay switch power on and off to an accessory fuse panel, that has its own hot feed from the front battery. Then run lights, etc, off that fuse panel via their own switches, etc. So, yeah, the relay would be 'on' all the time the switch is in the Service mode, but I don't see another way to do it easily.

Just my 2cents

Gonzomatic

I was thinking of making a short jumper wire to go in between the back of the switch terminal and the wiring terminal on harness itself on both sides of the switch. Then T off that patch wire over to my new switches somewhere in line to the underhood relay.

If I ever want to convert back to stock I'll just pull out the patch cable with the T.

I don't know if that would work or not

Ilikemtb999

If you use the ignition 12v opening on the fuse panel to switch a relay for your lights, the BO/service light switch will work on them.

At least mine does.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When do you want the lights to be active? When the headlights are on? Anytime when the service switch is on?

howardc

Please post a how-to of your method when you are done. I also have lights that I am looking to tie into the service light switch. Markg: if the OP isnt interested in the toggles, I may be.

Gonzomatic

I got most of the wiring run for my additional lights. I ended up using one of those piggy back add a fuse dealies installed in the headlight fuse socket. I will post up pictures when I get time. As of now the off road lights will only work when the headlights are on and the service light switch kills them along with everything else.