• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Addition of 1 Ton Bed Crane

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to understand and so everyone else seeing this is also aware, the angle under the bed isnt aluminum right? please tell me that is steel angle painted to look like aluminum!!!

Im sure you are aware aluminum angle in a stressful area would make the whole setup much weaker when stressed IMHO.
753996e5e848e04d37065ee26d38f1bdcc051edaf530124aea778be232389318.jpg

Planes are actually made of steel, but painted to look like aluminum. This is to make them "look" lighter and compensate for aluminum's lack of strength.

The 2" x 2" x 3/8" angle I used is actually titanium from the left wing of a scrapped NASA space shuttle. In the process of exit and entry of Earth's atmosphere it was heat tempered for strength.

The bed will catastrophically fail before my mount does.

2fe50303ed873364bee23fd3357c46f4.jpg

Disclaimer: Justin Wilson had no input in the design of the mount.

Sorry didnt mean to invoke wrath of (who ever the old cajun dude is) old dude its called tense.
View attachment 541460Planes are actually made of steel, but painted to look like aluminum. This is to make them "look" lighter and compensate for aluminum's lack of strength.The 2" x 2" x 3/8" angle I used is actually titanium from the left wing of a scrapped NASA space shuttle. In the process of exit and entry of Earth's atmosphere it was heat tempered for strength. The bed will catastrophically fail before my mount does.View attachment 541464Disclaimer: Barack Husain Obama had no input in the design of the mount.

dmetalmiki

They are such good units to have in the back corner of a five ton to hoist that spare wheel in and out. (Is one such I used to have in my 5 ton)

Capt Jon

Capt Jon,

I can't agree with you more, honestly. The dangers of this should've been more clearly addressed. I'd like to elaborate on a couple of your points and add some information, all while not coming off as defensive. :D

While I'm not in the overhead profession, I'm around it everyday and have to learn the safety and rules of proper picking on anything from 150 ton cranes to a pallet jack. I work for a company that is heavily regulated by the government and that has no problem teaching you how to do things the safe way. I'll use this knowledge to make some observations and put some information on the table.

Let's start with the crane itself before modifications were made. The crane itself, while having a claimed rating, is no more rated than the coat hangers in my closet. At best it is a copy of a design that might have had some credentials behind it. The only thing square on mine is the square stock that was manufactured at the mill. The holes are not square, the cuts and welds are not square and there are hot and cold welds all over. Any company with slight legal knowledge would run from this device.

The stock or aftermarket hydraulic cylinders have no legal lifting rating. There are no safety check valves to keep the boom in place if an internal seal fails. The base plate for the cylinder is cast which is something not recommended in lifting devices except under special circumstances. Casting leaves too many imperfections which is why most certified lifting devices are fabricated.

You are absolutely correct about the winch. A lifting hoist will have a positive engagement brake. It will also have a rated capacity instead of a stated capacity. The chain or cable will be separately proofed or rated and most, not all, will be designed for hanging overhead from a rated attachment point.

So I'll back up your question about the safety of this device by saying that technically this device is not rated to safely pick anything, by industry standards. Having said that though, if it was rated, the customer base they are entertaining would no longer be able to afford it.

So why'd I buy this hunk of bad welds and crooked metal then? It's limitations are clear as a bell, it was hot dip galvanized (it's hard to paint the inside of a tube) and I don't have a bunch of kids to stand around and help me get stuff into the bed. Last but not least, it was affordable.

The winch is wireless and works up to a tested distance of about 40' away. The hydraulic cylinder is operated by air from a 10' hose lead. I use a rope to swing the load from the ground or in the bed.

You should never stand where you could be contacted by a load and taglines should be used to control a load. My modifications have allowed me to meet these two criteria. You should always recognize the limitations of your equipment and operate within them.

As I said, my intent here is not to defend, but answer your question and oblige your request.

Hope I've helped.
Swamp Donkey,

That's good enough for me. Knowing what you have and what its limitations are keep you from finding them the hard way. It sounds like you have it scoped out. I really do like your set up. Happy lifting.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swamp Donkey,

That's good enough for me. Knowing what you have and what its limitations are keep you from finding them the hard way. It sounds like you have it scoped out. I really do like your set up. Happy lifting.
Capt Jon,

Thank you. I do strive to keep my best interest, as well as others, in mind when building and altering things. This is one of the better cranes on the market in this price range and it will definitely meet my needs. I said what I said so that others would understand the potential consequenses of the modifications I made, in case they decided to make use of them.

And for the record, the angle under the bed is not NASA space age titanium like the old Cajun dude (LOL) said. It's just aluminum.

Justin Wilson puts Paula Dean to shame for those who have never seen the show.

Maybe? But then they arent expected to lift anything else but the spare tire that weighs what 200lbs at the most ?

On the other hand this yellow chinese thing, in the place its installed it could and probably be pressed into lifting much heavier things, hence why I was concerned about the op using aluminum as reinforcement under the bed.

Just curious are the cranes to move the spare on the 5 tons rated? Are they properly labeled and inspected.

Rmtaunton

Thanks so much for pics and description Swamp, I was so over thinking it but you proved your bracing very well if you don't mind I'll do the same thing

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks so much for pics and description Swamp, I was so over thinking it but you proved your bracing very well if you don't mind I'll do the same thing
Thanks and copy away. If you happen to be out around Gray, I have plenty of that "NASA atmospheric heat tempered titanium" (giggle), aka aluminum, laying around. I'll cut you some up then all you got to do is drill and bolt it up. Or steel would work I reckon, lol.

The one piece of advise I'll offer, and I mentioned it before, is that you shouldn't assume the hole pattern is square. I almost caused myself a lot of grief until I double checked before drilling.

Make sure to post pictures and the offer was sincere.

Rmtaunton

I will do , and I have plenty of steel laying around thanks to your pics and write up I will be using half of what I had planned

Nogueremuseum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just installed one of the galvanized ones in the right rear of my 923A2 like everybody else. Used two pieces of heavy 2" steel angle, notched to fit. They will be welded to the bed frame, and the nuts will be welded, so that the entire crane can be removed, leaving a flush cargo bed. Also just installed three keyed alike, very nice Delta underbody tool boxes. The small ones are on each rear corner, and the large one replaced the original far smaller box on the passenger side. No photos, and I'm on the road with work. Cheers! Dr. No

Another Ahab

I just installed one of the galvanized ones in the right rear of my 923A2 like everybody else. Used two pieces of heavy 2" steel angle, notched to fit. They will be welded to the bed frame, and the nuts will be welded, so that the entire crane can be removed, leaving a flush cargo bed. Also just installed three keyed alike, very nice Delta underbody tool boxes. The small ones are on each rear corner, and the large one replaced the original far smaller box on the passenger side. No photos, and I'm on the road with work. Cheers! Dr. No
Hey Dr. No-

You mean "yet", right!?

Dr No.jpg

I think someone loaded a 600lbs transmission with the 939 spare tire hoist.
It's in my deuce but I scavenged some old bits of a LAV crane and built some pieces to make the turnable spindle - it's just got a hand winch but works well ;) I ended up putting 4" receiver pockets in the corners of the bed so you can put the crane anywhere...

Just another way to skin the cat...

CIMG2203.jpgCIMG3240.jpgCIMG0148.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks