• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adiabetic 5 ton truck

lenz1079

does anyone know where to get info on the adiabetic truck program. ive seen one. it means air cooled. a 5 ton corvair HAHa. its priced at 8500.00. any info please

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adiabatic? Never heard of that type of program. Adiabatic is associated with the thermal losses in the current DOC/DPF exhaust systems that HD engines are using now. As in NOT losing the heat generated by the engine exhaust to aid in the processes of the reactive exhaust components.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not losing the heat was the basic idea, ie an engine that could withstand/absorb all its own heat generated and therefore not need a cooling system, since the cooling system was reportedly responsible for over 50% of the military vehicle failures.

IF I recall correctly, the 5-ton was based on the M813 and used the NHC250 as the basic engine, much modified to withstand something like 2000*. :)shock:)

I am open to correction if I am recalling that wrong.

Cheers

Chevytruck

Not losing the heat was the basic idea, ie an engine that could withstand/absorb all its own heat generated and therefore not need a cooling system, since the cooling system was reportedly responsible for over 50% of the military vehicle failures.

IF I recall correctly, the 5-ton was based on the M813 and used the NHC250 as the basic engine, much modified to withstand something like 2000*. :)shock:)

I am open to correction if I am recalling that wrong.

Cheers
:shock: 2000!!!!!! holy flying batman!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long time ago, Honda or some other manufacturer experimented with an all ceramic engine. it had no cooling system. I read about this when I still worked for Kawasaki, 25 years ago.

Reactions: HDN

Nonotagain

15-20 years ago, they were marketing air cooled diesel engines to the construction trades for use in cement and dump trucks.as well as for wrecker applications

They were Deutz diesels, and available in 6, 8, 10, and 12 cylinder versions, all 90 degree Vee's.

Deutz still sells some fairly large air cooled diesel engines, though for most applications are lacking on power.

lacoda56

One more thing, an adiabatic engine isn't air cooled. That's the point, the engine uses all the heat generated by combustion and doesn't need cooling of any kind. Internal parts are designed to withstand high temps (2000 degrees plus). Definately not a corvair or deutz!

surfdog

It sold today on the GSA auction site. Anyone up here buy it?

Year: 1980

Make: Kaiser Jeep

Model: Xm813w/W

Vin: 05F45869172510516

MILEAGE: 11633

6 CYL, CARGO TRUCK, MDL# XM813W/W, ADIABATIC ENGINE, 5 TON, 6X6, HYBRID, US ARMY TACO /ADIA BATICS INC. EXPERIMENTAL MODEL, ENGINE YR OF MFR: UNKNOWN. REPAIRS MAY BE REQUIRED. PARTS MAY BE MISSING. PLEASE INSPECT. 4751F292740124

Attachments

hughscpa

I saw one of these at our local federal surplus warehouse a few months back and had no idea what it was. I have not been back to see if it is still there. Now I have to go check it out.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last I had read about 2 years ago was that it belonged in someone's private collection in Illinois.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe I've heard that as well. If memory serves it hasn't been ran either since there's no replacement parts. (I might be wrong, but I want to say that was mentioned)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks