• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

adjust pedal?

andy rocks

I just bought an M35A3 and it has a bolt under the accelerator pedal which only allows the truck to do 50 mph. From what I have read about the 3116 Cat engine, it is more than capable of higher speeds. In your experiences, is there any problems with cutting the head off the bolt to allow the pedal to depress further and get the truck to 55 or 60 mph for the highway?
Andy living upstate New York

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. First off, the bolt is adjustable, no need to cut things. Second, I don't know what the engine is governed at. All deuces are slow from the factory and probably 50MPH for you is about 2800 RPM or so, right? I don't believe that transmission has an overdrive 4th gear, its only 1:1.

Eliteweapons

Welcome Andy,
The cat is listed as max rpm of 2700. Mine puts me right at 48 to 49 mph at 2600. From what I have been told running at 2700 is not a good thing for the cat 3116 so I keep mine at 2600. It should do better once I get the 46's on there. The auto in the A3 is a 1:1 just as Wildchild said that's why there is a big difference in rpm and top speed vs the A2.

andy rocks

Thank you Wildchild, for the insight on the new knowledge. I was an 82D topo surveyor and stationed at Ft. Belvior, Va. I drove a M35A2 with all our equipment on survey projects up and down the east coast, but did not know the A3 was going to be so different. I will stick with 50 mph and try to stay off the interstate roads. Andy

andy rocks

Good morning eliteweapons, I will stick to the 50 mph and enjoy the ride and the scenery. I was recently told about a military vehicle rally in the late spring each year at Aberdeen, MD. Have you been to this event? Are there other M35 supplies there?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check your laws but i believe min speed for the highways are 45. 50 is close to 55 which is seems to be the standard max speed for the US. just dont fall below 45 and if you do, you need to turn on your hazard lights like the big trucks do when they pull a hill. again, check local laws to make sure I am accurate on this. I drove my truck for 4 years around the triple cities and never had an issue. If you could get an over drive trans for it, that would be fantastic and maybe hit 55 at 2300 RPM or so. That would be nice. Happy new truck either way!

Eliteweapons

Good morning eliteweapons, I will stick to the 50 mph and enjoy the ride and the scenery. I was recently told about a military vehicle rally in the late spring each year at Aberdeen, MD. Have you been to this event? Are there other M35 supplies there?
I just got my truck in June. I wasn't able to make it to the rally this year but I read lots of posts from guys that go there to meet and sell parts etc. I should be there next year barring anything else popping up at work again.

CMPPhil

Speed control or peddle stop?

I just bought an M35A3 and it has a bolt under the accelerator pedal which only allows the truck to do 50 mph. From what I have read about the 3116 Cat engine, it is more than capable of higher speeds. In your experiences, is there any problems with cutting the head off the bolt to allow the pedal to depress further and get the truck to 55 or 60 mph for the highway?
Andy living upstate New York
Hi

Don't own a duce but on the trucks I've worked on that had similar stops the purpose of the stop was not engine speed control but to prevent you from bending the lickage. When the peddle is on the stop is the throattle body all the way open?

Cheers Phil

andy rocks

I certainly will check the interstate laws in New York. They have lots and lots of laws up here. But I like the idea of putting in an overdrive transmission. Do you have any recommendations from whom to purchase this kind of transmission? Or a note for whom to stay away from when purchasing parts?

I would like to be able to drive this truck to rally’s and in parades and take it camping.
Thanks, Andy

andy rocks

Hey Phil, I will check and see where the throttle is when the pedal is all the way down. I will let you know.
BY the way, I grew up on a farm in Vermont till I went into the Army. My mom and siblings have all moved over the border from Vermont into New Hampshire. Great state, love the hiking.
Thanks, Andy

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy the A3 sounds like its running at or darned near it top Governed RPM for that 3116, I wouldn't push anything that is stock past its published limits, remember CAT is very proud of their parts and its going to cost you plenty to get your truck on the road again!
KK

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya , I cruise my A3 at around 50 MPH , seems to like it there and engine sounds pretty busy if you go faster . As far a the Aberdeen Rally in May , been there several times , not a bad show , not too many A3 parts , not as many vendors as there used to be . I have been going to the Findley Ohio show last few years and it is turning out to be a good show , more vendors every year . Next year the MVPA Convention is in Cleveland , so that should be a good deal . As far as Parts for your A3 , you are close to Kublo's just over the border in PA . I would also recommend the Gilbert PA MV show , not far from you . PM me I will fill you in on the local MV Clubs in your area , which you should join , they can be a big help repairing your A3 , stay safe , Bob k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks