• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advantage of a CUCV over Civilian truck

sandcobra164

one advantage is having a locked up rear and if your lucky like me, a locker in the front end. That Cucvnut owe's me some cookies, I'm planning a trip to Barstow to collect!!!!

gijoe13

If you get a CUCV then you can be cool like us. Just kidding. If you are handy they are a nice truck to have. It is still a 25 year old truck. I like the cool factor and use mine as a plow-winter work truck. It is fun turning heads when driving around town.

mudman

You got a 2010 Silverado..Think about it! Are you willing and ready to really take it off road and see what she really has.. It's a low slung girly truck, with a IFS just waiting to break the minute you put bigger tires on it!! a CUCV will just leave you in the dust, and when you get home you don't even have to wash it. And still no payments!!

Varyag

You have to actually want a CUCV to make it worth it. Around here, they pull a premium because there just isn't that many of them. The only other one I have seen in my town in 4 years was a 1008 with a flat bed on it.

Besides the 1009, they are limited in speed and really don't have many creature comforts. However, they are really simple to work on and OK on fuel.

If you are looking purely for a pickup, I would stick with yours. If you want a CUCV, then get one in addition of your current truck.

ryan77

My m1008 is so **** load i cant even talk on my cell phone at 45 mph! Its like being in a steeldrum with a lawnmower running! Civy truck k30 has overdrive and insulation!!

cucv1833

Keep your truck. Add the CUCV. If you can't do both, then just keep your truck.
:ditto:

You have to actually want a CUCV to make it worth it.

I love my M1009 and dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. Its become more of a passion for some reason. Ive got almost double the money in it then what I paid for it but thats the fun of it for me is working on it and keeping it up and being more involved in it unlike my new truck where you just jump in and drive.

Mines just a hunting/hobby truck it better than me driving a $40K truck through the woods and mud.:driver:

original

M1008's are absolutely the worst trucks on the face of the earth. I have similar model 1/2 tons that out tow and go places that these sinkers won't. Unless you have a personal connection to these trucks, then don't waste your time or money. However, they are a good starting point for a build.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m1008 is so **** load i cant even talk on my cell phone at 45 mph! Its like being in a steeldrum with a lawnmower running! Civy truck k30 has overdrive and insulation!!
That is a perfectly apt description for the M1008/M1009. You have to want one just for the fun of it or the feeling you want to spend money maintaining it. LOL Most of the posts are dead on IMO. You want one, ADD it to your fleet, don't replace a newer more dependable comfortable vehicle.

TacticalDoc

Well... I need my Silverado for every day use, work and reliabiliy. At this point I would rather spend 2 or 3K on my Silverado than a CUCV.

I would think with ARB or rear lockers, my winch, larger tires and a few lights (Vis and IR) would be a better option.

Thanks for all the input but what I have heard it the CUCV isnt that special. And for the money a deuce would be a better buy.