• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice for adjusting clutch

Dwduggins

I read the clutch adjustment procedure in TM9-2320-361-20 and have read several postings on here about adjusting the clutch linkage for the proper free-play. The reason I started looking into this is because my clutch lets out at the very top and resistance is felt the moment you push in on the clutch.

After reading the procedure it seemed like a relatively simple task so I went out to start my work.

Step one - Loosen nut (3), pull pin (4) to one side of clevis (5), and remove clevis (5) from remote control lever (1).

Funny, this is where I get stuck. I can get the pin almost all the way out, but it feels like it is bound up in the clevis. Even using moderate amounts of force, the pin will not come out far enough to clear the rod and free the clevis to adjust the linkage. Is this normal? Am I missing something? My clutch pedal has very little to no free play in it, and does slip a little in fourth and fifth gear.

Thanks in advance

fasttruck

The pin is not supposed to come all the way out: it is held min by a spring loadxed poppet. Get it all the way out and the poppet ball will come flying out and disappear for ever. The clevis should turn when the jam nut is backed off. You turn it up the shaft to gain freeplay. Usually one revolution is enough to get freeplay. If you get freeplay and cannot get the pin back in because the threaded rod blocks reinserting the pin this indicates that the clutch has reached its wear limit. Shorten the rod to get the pin in will set the table for replacing the clutch and the flywheel when the flywheel is scored nto the point of being FUBAR.

Dwduggins

I understand the pin is not supposed to come all the way out. From reading the TM and looking at the linkage I was ujnder the impression the clevis has to come free from the remote control lever in order to be turned/adjusted. The pin is not coming out far enough to free the clevis from the remote control lever. Again, I know its not supposed to come all the way out, but it isnt coming out far enough to clear the lever.

Hopefully the picture below will make more sense. You can see the Pin is out most of the way but it is still engaged in the remote control lever. The pin is still in the lever about where the arrow is pointing. The assembly feels bound up, like the rod/clevis is still being pushed by the remote control lever even though the clutch pedal is all the way out.

Hope that clears up what I am asking?

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have spring tension on the linkage from your clutch (its adjusted too tight, as you suspect). You probably have to relive that spring tension on the linkage, before you can remove the pin further. Sometimes pins have groves worn in them, that cause them to hang up in the clevis. Try using a pry bar to relieve the tension, while you work on the pin.

Dwduggins

Thanks,

I will give that a try come daylight, weather permitting. I wanted to stop and research things before I went any further to make sure I wasnt missing something. The pedal feels like it has zero free play.

nk14zp

Sounds like you have spring tension on the linkage from your clutch (its adjusted too tight, as you suspect). You probably have to relive that spring tension on the linkage, before you can remove the pin further. Sometimes pins have groves worn in them, that cause them to hang up in the clevis. Try using a pry bar to relieve the tension, while you work on the pin.
You might need to turn the pin with pliers because of the grove that has worn in it. But to me it sounds like spring pressure is holding it. So follow the above info.

Dwduggins

Finally got it adjusted! Freed the pin up by using a very large screwdriver to relieve tension on the pin as mentioned above. Dailed in a good 1.5 inches of freeplay and everything is much better now. Guess I didnt realize how much it was slipping until I got it adjusted correctly and took it for a test drive. I also sprayed a bit of parts cleaner up through the inspection plate to clean out some of the oil in there. I believe I have a small oil leak, probably the rear main? Its not gear or transmission oil. Ill keep my eye on it and see how it progresses.

Thanks again for the help!