• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

advice for rear window crank

natemccabe

I know there is lots of info on the rear window crank and pleanty of horror stories. Here is my dilema. The crank broke off, the window is up, how do I get the crank assembly removed. I haul my own water and have a 200 gallon transfer tank in the cargo area. The tank goes from the folded up rear seats to about 4 inches infront of the tailgate, so there is no way I can squeeze in there to get to the access panel. I'm looking for suggestions on how to get the window down so that I can drop the tailgate and fix the window crank.

richingalveston

do you have a cutting wheel, you will probalby have to cut the remaining part of the outer assembly off to expose the wing nut on the back of the regulator. then you can roll it down by using and open end wrench as the clutch. look at the parts diagrams, it is held on by two screws but screwed on from the inside. to do this you will have to buy an entire new outer assembly but until you get the parts, you will will be able to roll it up and down. you may be able to use a drill to drill with small whole saw to drill out the metal housing around the two screws holding the exterior assymbly on. since you cant get to the inside, your options are to break the glass or remove the remaining of the exterior assymbly which is what I would do since you will need a new one anyway.

natemccabe

Thanks, rich. I spent two years rolling the window down with a couple of philipino pilots (a pair of pliers). I was hoping to save the part of the crank that is still on there, but i guess cutting it off is the best option. I couldn't make myself bust the window out, with out having a replacement at the ready. I still have my old crank that busted off the first time at the bolts that hold it on so I was hopping to reuse the handle, that option seems to be out. Guess LMC is gonna get another bunch of my money, at least now I can order that headlight harness and save on the shipping to AK.

Barneyrubble

I had the same problem a few years ago,so I took it apart,and managed to attach an old 1/2" drive socket by drilling it and selloc pinning it to the crank part,so now to roll down the window I use a 1/2" drive T handle where the handle is normally on the outside of the tail gate,I just keep the t handle under the drivers seat.I made a small cover which swings over the exposed square drive of the socket to protect it from the weather and prying eyes,it looks just like the cover you might see over a door lock.

howardc

I had the same problem a few years ago,so I took it apart,and managed to attach an old 1/2" drive socket by drilling it and selloc pinning it to the crank part,so now to roll down the window I use a 1/2" drive T handle where the handle is normally on the outside of the tail gate,I just keep the t handle under the drivers seat.I made a small cover which swings over the exposed square drive of the socket to protect it from the weather and prying eyes,it looks just like the cover you might see over a door lock.

Sounds like a good alternative to the cheap handle. Any chance you can up pics/ a brief walkthrough?

wired1000

Same thing happened to me during a freeze (though I don't have a huge water tank in the back of my truck). Not looking forward to replacing that whole mess, though it will be nice to have a new one that actually locks. I live in a bad 'hood and always make a big show of pretending like slamming the crank handle back into place is some sort of "locking mechanism". Nobody's bothered with my truck yet! :D

LanceRobson

We just had to take the regulator off this AM and slide it down a few inches to get at the passenger side nut on the crank to remove the broken crank. My son figured out that a "pickle fork" ball joint separator makes a pretty good crank handle until we can get the replacement crank .

Does anybody have a source for black cranks? I can find a few sources for chrome but no black ones.... Does anyone know if the crank comes with the clutch?

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks