• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck project?

dma251

I have sold the axles from the old M342 I am parting out to a buddy of mine who is building up a BIG offroad rig. He's got BIG power for it, and will be running the 16-20 michelin's on it.

I've browsed throught the tm's but couldn't find axle and transfercase ratios. I think all the Rockwell 2.5tons have the same ratio, tight?

He's considering running the transfercase as well, but I wonder if you guys have any advice for him that might get this project started in the right direction.

I think he's leaning towards having USA 6x6 make the wheels.

m.walker

RE: Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck proje

2.5's had 6.72-1 ratio , if he's gonna run pinion brakes it would be better with a posi or locker. USA 6x6 made made my wheels ( hole in the center was too small , but he gave me another wheel to make up for it ) So far I have 1 with a slow leak . Not bad after a year .

Attachments

bigford

RE: Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck proje

Tell him to use the u-joint shafts as they are a little stronger. With the 1600s he can break these too so beware. He could check out Ouverson (I may have mis-spelled) Engineering. Randy makes the strongest shafts and components for the 2.5s, bar none. They say you can have the strength of the 5 ton in the 2.5. Kind of expensive as you might guess but if you tend to put your foot in it, might be worth it. I believe the TC is 1.96 in low. A few years back I ran an air shift in a truck I built. It was behind the stock 205. I ran the 2.5s and 1400s. That old military stuff worked great. He may have to center the rear diff depending on how the layout falls. This is real easy to do and will be glad to share my experience if needed. I did mine in an afternoon.

M1075

Re: Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck proje

dma251 said:
I have sold the axles from the old M342 I am parting out to a buddy of mine who is building up a BIG offroad rig. He's got BIG power for it, and will be running the 16-20 michelin's on it.

I've browsed throught the tm's but couldn't find axle and transfercase ratios. I think all the Rockwell 2.5tons have the same ratio, tight?

He's considering running the transfercase as well, but I wonder if you guys have any advice for him that might get this project started in the right direction.

I think he's leaning towards having USA 6x6 make the wheels.
Lots of guys run rocks on their offroad rig. Check out www.pirate4x4.com for a wealth of good information. Search for a thread on rockwells that links to every other thread regarding every aspect/detail of using rockwells.

As far as wheels go, get your buddy to start leaning another way. Seriously.

spicergear

Re: Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck proje

M1075 said:
As far as wheels go, get your buddy to start leaning another way. Seriously.
Yes, I whole heartedly agree...with experience. Or, for fun, do a search of that wheel vendor on this site.

Let's just pose a simple question or so: If a bonafide company is manufacturing said product (wheels) and you order 4 or 6 of them with the same specs (20x10, for instance) then shouldn't all of them be that? 20x9.75 and 20x10.375 varience in the same set seems to speak for itself. Right? Or if the centers, from how they're designed and welded are pulled away from each other .125" on one wheel and over .625" on another. Or if you're driving down the street and you're watching the top of your tire wobble in and out and it concerns you enough to stop and check if the lug nuts are tight (and they are). Whoops, almost forgot about the leaks- not usually from o-ring, but from welds. Yeah, lean the other way. Seriously.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck p

www.ColoradoK5.com has some good info on putting them under GM's and buggies. Pirate is probably your best bet for tech but keep your flame retardent PJ's handy!

spicergear

RE: Re: Advice for swapping deuce axles into monster-truck p

Another thing to remember is that when you put a huge heavy tire on a deuce Rockwell you will break it. Beater trucks, off road toys, etc will pop axleshafts routinely. Keeping the front open will help it live a little longer. CV's or Spicer U-joints isn't really a big concern as you're break the axle around it before you ever hurt either of them. Randy Ouverson builds axleshafts to take a beating from huge tires, big dumb engines, and merciless floggings. Gonna pay to play though- :) http://www.ouversonengineering.com/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks