• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice needed removing viynl lettering?

Ok I have my hood numbers removed from my A1. They were vinyl, how the heck do you get the residue removed!? I've tried WD40 on a rag, paint thinner (very light with both) and the hot soapy water thing. None have worked very well. Any suggestions??

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Through another hobby of mine I've had a LOT of experience removing vinyl adhesive. I've had good luck with the following: Goof-Off Industrial Strength, 3M Adhesive Remover, and Goo-Gone. Use an old toothbrush and keep scrubbing & spraying until it's all gone.

Of course, test a small painted area first to ensure that the remover won't also take paint or other substances off.

tourus

I will tell you the fastest way I have ever found and the easyest way is brake cleaner. spayit it on use a razor blade in a holder and wala gone no pressure no fuss fast and easy. now I know everyone will be up in arms about it but one can will do you 10 mines done. I have removed hundreds that way and nver hurt any paint or any thing big trucks cars and school buses. I would in a minute and be done. spray the cleaner on hold the blade at angle and push it into glue will peel right off. very light pressure is all that is needed.

tourus

NO the brake cleaner won't eat the paint. the biggest thing to think about is the angle of a razor blade scratching the paint that was the only promble I've ever had is the blade holder digging the paint . the brake cleaner won't hurt it at all.

m816

Yep Brake fluid works fine. The next ime I have to remove vynl though, I 'm gonna try a plastic spatula. I always gouge the paint when I use the razor blade. It sure gets the residue off as well. I tried acitone, alcohoil, nail polish remover, goof off, and got the best results with the brake fluid. Off course, if you really get frustrated, You could use a needle scaller but it leaves a residue.:beer:

goldneagle

For future reference there is another way to remove any vinyl decals and pin striping from vehicles. It is a eraser rubber wheel that attaches to your drill and will remove the vinyl off your paint job without damaging it.

I used it to remove the vinyl decals and striping off my Police Interceptor when I bough it. Found the tool at a industrial paint supply store. It works great!:doghead:

I ended up using a residue remover, it worked pretty good, but softened the paint in one spot. The up side is that I had one letter that covered it up! It looks pretty good, but you can see where the vinyl was in some spots. Thanks for the tips! Oh yeah... hey Radar! Change the numbers on that jeep!