• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on buying MEP-80Xa with missing exhaust flapper

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are a few guys few who have bought multiple generators from auction. When looking at a non-running unit with a missing exhaust flap / cover, what is the likelyhood that it has engine damage from water intrusion?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the yard its posted in, show running videos of any other equipment? If so, there is your reason why its not shown. Machine price and machine quality have a backwards relationship now... much poorer quality, with much more to acquire it.

Its not going to get better. I would put money on uncle sam recalling DRMO equipment if need be in the current state of the world.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the yard its posted in, show running videos of any other equipment? If so, there is your reason why its not shown. Machine price and machine quality have a backwards relationship now... much poorer quality, with much more to acquire it.

Its not going to get better. I would put money on uncle sam recalling DRMO equipment if need be in the current state of the world.

Thank's for the replies, you validated my gut feeling. I was kinda hoping that these units might trap a limited amount of moisture in the muffler before it flowed to the engine. This yard is in Colorado where it's dry most of the time, but I have no reason to believe its always lived here. The unit is newer and nicer than mine externally, so I'll just continue assuming its only good for parts.

Daybreak, there is no other running units coming from this yard.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh the mufflers will hold more liquid than one thinks, before backspilling into the exhaust port... but you have no idea how long its been like that. A lot of the auction stuff I have seen come up lately looks like odds and ends garbage from them cleaning out 'back lots'.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's a real shame, but that is the stage we are in. I wish the -1030s and -1040s were cheaper. They look nice, but a service hassle.

Leonardo82nd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's a real shame, but that is the stage we are in. I wish the -1030s and -1040s were cheaper. They look nice, but a service hassle.
definitely a bit pricey - but im finding it to be pretty user friendly with all the built in maintenance reminders, good luck on the 80xa search . @Mattguy has some good looking runners for low prices .

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to go for it and ended up being the only bidder, so I picked up the 803 for cheap. I pulled the top cover and muffler and didn't see any signs of water intrusion. Looking inside the crankcase, the exposed steel parts were free of rust. The engine turned over by hand easily, so there is hope this one can be salvaged after replacing the missing switches.

20230206_120008.jpg

The 802 is complete, but needs a good washdown before trying to get it running. It looks to have an oil leak at the side cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks