• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice On Potential Purchase

sassquatch20

Hello, new guy here. Good to be on with you folks.

I've been eyeing a '68 Deuce for a few days now, and just about any time I've looked for some info on the net, I'd end up reading posts here, so I figured it was time to join up and ask a few questions that seem unique to my situation.

As mentioned, there's a '68 for sale nearby for what seems like a pretty good price. Apparently 721? I've spoken with the owner and he seems like he might not fully know what he has. This is all relatively new to me, but I've gotten on a diesel kick lately and I think with something like this, for the price, it could at the least be a very useful tool around the land here.

The issue I'm having is my being unfamiliar with the different engines in these things and the years switches happened. The fella selling says it's got a CAT 250 in it, and from what I can tell that's not a stock option. He claims that's what the PO told him. Whether it's true or it's just been a chain of misinformed owners, I don't know. From my understanding about this truck (which is very little) and my knowledge of the engines that were ever available (again, very little) the 3116 was the only Caterpillar available. What I'm really wondering is whether or not the 250 would be an easy enough swap for it to be believable.

Additionally, what pros/cons would this motor have over the ones that came stock, if it is in fact what the owner says it is?

Lastly, I would like to know if I'm looking at a lot of trouble, given the little I know about it. It doesn't seem to have any of the canvas, and he said a mechanic told him he needed fuel filters. He noticed a loss in power and got that one piece of advice. Regardless, the price is what I think you folks would consider close to a steal, at least from what I've read. So I'm wondering if there's anything in particular to look out for, problems with this year, problems if it's a diff motor, etc.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I appreciate any advice you folks can give.

RIDDLE1

Yep get some pics of the engine bay, and the rest of the truck for that matter. They will be worth there weight in gold, as to determine what you are looking at.

sassquatch20

Well I'll give you what I have to go on for now. I'm waiting on some additional photos as the guy is a healthy drive away and I'm holed up right now. It would be good to know which motor was standard that year, if anybody is aware.

Attachments

Last edited:

Darwin T

without seeing pictures of the engine i can't be sure, but it looks like a multi fuel setup for the intake and exhaust. thats what my 3 trucks look like. all are multi fuel and 2 are turbo and one is non-turbo. i don't think that a CAT anything.

sassquatch20

I feel a little dumber now. I've realized that he's probably talking about the 3116 as it produces 250HP. Still, if it's multifuel instead I think that might be a bonus. I'll get pictures up as soon as I have them. I am at least under the impression that the CAT motor wasn't used until the 90's and I'm not sure if it would be a bolt-in deal if someone did a swap.

Last edited:

Lex_Ordo

Unless he bought the truck from someone who did an engine swap?

When you do get back over to the seller, Take pics of the open hood, as well as the interior, and try to remember to take a pic of the data plate inside the cab. You can shoot a PM to Carnac who can tell you the history of the truck. At least the history of it's Military career.

dilligaf13

The '68 should be multifuel but over a 43 year vehicle life there's no telling what could be under the hood now. Also I would change the fuel filters prior to purchase, due to the relative ease, and see if that cures the loss in power. I'd hate to buy that baby and it turn out to be something much more expensive causing the power loss. :cry: Also check with local FMV owners in your area for the most accurate pricing of Deuces. Thier price can vary by location just as much as condition. Good luck

dittle

If the CAT was stuck under the hood I would think the sheet metal would have to be changed for it to fit properly...unless not all of the components were put on for the cat. There was a thread on here last week that showed a M35A2 repowered with the CAT but it didn't have all of the extra intercoolers on it that required the change in the sheetmetal.

Darwin T

it has the A2 multi fuel intake mushroom cap. if someone did an engine swap they did not use an A3 CAT, from what i have heard the A3 CAT only fits the A3's because they widened the truck. that's why the hoods don't swap. i am not a mechanic, but, i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. i run about 50/50 on my guesses on here. :drool:

SteveKuhn

If you opened the hood:
- What color was the engine? Yellow might be a clue.
- Is there a data plate on the block, curb side, about the middle toward the front? Might give some info.
- Did you cruise the site or Google/Image view a bit using terms like '3119' and 'multifuel' to see if anything looks familiar? There are loads of mulltifuel engine shots that would help you confirm or rule out if that's what's in it.

Steve

sassquatch20

If you opened the hood:
- What color was the engine? Yellow might be a clue.
- Is there a data plate on the block, curb side, about the middle toward the front? Might give some info.
- Did you cruise the site or Google/Image view a bit using terms like '3119' and 'multifuel' to see if anything looks familiar? There are loads of mulltifuel engine shots that would help you confirm or rule out if that's what's in it.

Steve
Haven't seen the Deuce in person yet. I'm waiting on some more pictures, but I'm thinking I might have to shoot on the thing regardless.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A CAT 3116 in stock MV form doesn't produce 250HP (I said stock, not turned up or changed) it is more like 170HP.

If it was a correct CAT swap then the sheet metal isn't right and the engine would not fit in the truck using your provided pics as a reference. Too much other stuff needed for the engine. Unless they left all the other stuff off.

My guess without more pics of the engine compartment is a multi-fuel since the air intake mushroom is still there.

Could be the current owner doesn't know what they are talking about. That almost never happens. ;-)

ratat98

I would have to agree with the others on this as well about the cat engine. I commonly drive a tractor with a cat 3126 in it, which is basically the 3116 with electronic controls and there is no way a 3116 would even come close to fitting in a stock M35A2. The intercoolers, fuel coolers, oil coolers, and aftercoolers on the 3126 all take up about a foot and a half of space in front of the engine. That's on the tractor though...

sassquatch20

While I'm leaning towards it being a multifuel at this point, thanks for that thread. Very interesting stuff in there. I'm hoping this fella will get back to me with pictures soon, but beggars can't be choosers. Tomorrow's my birthday so I might just make the drive down and take a camera with me.

I might regret this, given the chance of it being bought out from under me, but would 1800 be a good price for something in decent shape lacking canvas?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
While I'm leaning towards it being a multifuel at this point, thanks for that thread. Very interesting stuff in there. I'm hoping this fella will get back to me with pictures soon, but beggars can't be choosers. Tomorrow's my birthday so I might just make the drive down and take a camera with me.

I might regret this, given the chance of it being bought out from under me, but would 1800 be a good price for something in decent shape lacking canvas?
as long as there isn't anything big wrong with it, thats a good price.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure he has a VALID TITLE in his name before any money changes hands .
Yes, that's correct advice, but the states are different on how they handle things. In Georgia, I've NEVER had a title for ANY of my MVs. (With the exception of my M1009) This is due to them being older than 1985. Georgia only requires a bill of sale. It would appear through a quick search online that the state of TN where the OP is from only requires this form to be filled out. The VIN checked by a LEO, and a notarized bill of sale.

http://www.unioncountyclerktn.com/sites/unioncountyclerktn.com/files/Certification of Ownership.pdf

While having a piece of paper is a good thing, it shouldn't be a blanket policy given the nature of the laws from state to state.