• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on Removing Poor Spray Paint Job

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an LMTV from a volunteer fire department that spray painted the front and sides of the cab bright red. It is a horrible paint job: no apparent prep, sloppy masking, etc. The red paint is peeling in some places, like around the handles and lights...but everywhere else seems pretty stuck on. My goal is to put the paint back the way it was, with camo that matches the rest of the truck. I tried rubbing the red paint with acetone, but not much came off. Would you advise me to sand all the red off before repainting the camo? Thanks

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wet sanding.

I use a 7in polish disk with my Milwaukee grinder to get down to the carc

Aircraft stripper and a good pressure washer
Thanks, but can you clarify this a little? Are you listing three different methods of removing the red paint, or are saying I should do all three of those in that order?

A Seabee

I bought an LMTV from a volunteer fire department that spray painted the front and sides of the cab bright red. It is a horrible paint job: no apparent prep, sloppy masking, etc. The red paint is peeling in some places, like around the handles and lights...but everywhere else seems pretty stuck on. My goal is to put the paint back the way it was, with camo that matches the rest of the truck. I tried rubbing the red paint with acetone, but not much came off. Would you advise me to sand all the red off before repainting the camo? Thanks
you can try a product called Citrustrip, available everywhere. it may attack the rattle can red paint first and save the better underpaint

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Now I have to figure out what black/brown/green camo paint is on a 2003 M1078. I would like it to match the rest of the truck. Anybody know? I am hoping Gillespie makes them in rattle cans. I think I only need a few. I have searched around SS for the answer, but I haven't found it yet. And no replies yet from the paint sellers.

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Now I have to figure out what black/brown/green camo paint is on a 2003 M1078. I would like it to match the rest of the truck. Anybody know? I am hoping Gillespie makes them in rattle cans. I think I only need a few. I have searched around SS for the answer, but I haven't found it yet. And no replies yet from the paint sellers.
A guy on ebay is selling a set of Gillespie military paint chips (seller: wcfr4). I ordered the set to visually confirm my paint colors before I order paint. When I wrote the sellers, they said the LMTV paint colors were:

"The code numbers are 911-Black, 34094- Green, and 30051-Brown"

Gillespie Military Paint Chip Set

langstonhs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy on ebay is selling a set of Gillespie military paint chips (seller: wcfr4). I ordered the set to visually confirm my paint colors before I order paint. When I wrote the sellers, they said the LMTV paint colors were:

"The code numbers are 911-Black, 34094- Green, and 30051-Brown"

Gillespie Military Paint Chip Set
UPDATE: I received the paint chip set today, and the paint color numbers I was given by the paint seller are indeed the correct colors for my 2003 LMTV: 911-Black, 34094- Green, and 30051-Brown.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks