• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on TH 400 rebuild kits

tankie88

Right i was looking to buy a rebuild kit.I see there are lots of them at various prices.What should i look for? Some have this band and some have that band and some have none.

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

From my limited experience- if you are not building a high performance vehicle, which is hard to do with a low HP 6.2, most any name brand is perfectly fine. You probably would be best to stay with stock type replacements. If you have not taken yours apart yet to see what is actually worn and due to your location I think you should get a complete kit with clutches, steels, gaskets, bands, and bearings. Many of the bearing are pressed in so you may need to visit a shop for assistance. I would also recommend that you replace the Torque Converter while you are at it- make sure that it is 6 puck diesel application. You also need to get the ATSG rebuild manual.

DXTAC

Got my kit HERE including the torque converter and trans cooler. No regrets. I also bought a Derale high capacity cooling pan from Summit. Had someone that knows more about transmissions than me do the rebuild though.

:beer:

DXTAC

Got my kit HERE including the torque converter and trans cooler. No regrets. I also bought a Derale high capacity cooling pan from Summit. Had someone that knows more about transmissions than me do the rebuild though.

:beer:

cliffyp

If you follow the manual you can do the rebuild yourself. There really isn't any big mystery once you get in there and go through the steps. I'm over 3,000 miles into a 700r4 I built. I have absolutely no background working on vehicles or transmissions. I just followed the rebuild manual.

tankie88

Well i won't be rebuilding it myself.I know a man who can and has all the kit.I see the TH 400 is used by Jag,Rolls and a few others so maybe i can get a rebuild kit this side of the pond.I take it a TH 400 is a TH 400 is a TH 400?.Was looking at getting a kit off Flea Bay from your side of the pond but there are so many at differant prices.All a bit confusing.