• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on using a truck tractor (M931 etc) for towing on a farm

backcountryfarmer

Hello,
I'm a vet but only know 5-tons from jumping out of the back of them, so I'm hoping to get some expert insight into whether they would be a good choice for our new farm truck. What I need is this:
+Be able to tow full grain trailers ~94,000lbs
+Be able to tow traditional cargo containers (20 foot and 40 foot)
+Good off road and on
+Reasonable fuel efficiency (any sense for what we could get loaded/unloaded, on and off road would be really helpful)
+Good maintenance
+Easy availability of parts
+Easy to fix with a decent mechanical shop

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Geoff

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For that kind of weight and service, seems like others have found the 916/920s to be better suited.
What he said. 5 ton tractors are good for "pull out trucks" (getting a loaded trailer to the hardball) but suck for over the road hauling. With a loaded grain trailer you would be a toad in the road. M915/M916/M920 would be better but are still slow (around 56-60 unless you have a M915 with the CAT transmission 68-72mph) The M916/M920's have the CAT but are geared lower.

backcountryfarmer

Thank you all for the great insights and suggestions. it sounds like for the heavy move (e.g. grain) I want to look at a M915/916/920, but there are also lighter loads we move. Do you have a sense for how much and how fast an M931 (or similar trucks) can pull on a dirt road?

Also, any thoughts on the maintenance for any of the above would be great. Thank you!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per the forum rules you just agreed to, you must change your profile to list your State of residence. The United States is not a State. ;-)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you click on the link that Porky listed in his thread? It will take you to other discussions about the trucks.

You may also want to look at the other threads listed at the bottom of this thread. There isn't much that hasn't been discussed before.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Porkysplace, you sound skeptical about using an M931 as a farm semi, I'd appreciate hearing why.

Thank you!
The amount of weight you want to pull .
This is the specs for a M931: M931 tractor truck, equipped with a fifth wheel and used to haul semitrailers with loads up to 16 800 kg off-road and 24 900 kg on hard surface roads;

trooper632

I have a M931a2 and I will haul a 40 foot gooseneck trailer with 20 round bales at 1,000 lbs apiece. It does it fine on straight road but slows down a lot on hills, but it does what I need it to. It will do 60 mph while loaded on flat roads

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks