• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Affordable hydraulic hoses?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well last weekend I was trying to prep for the arrival of my MK48 cab by repositioning all the motorpool. I parked the wrecker next to the 931. While I had it there I decided to play with the hydraulics a bit and was rewarded with a blown boom hose. $109.31 for a hose made at the local parts store, and I thought I was in business. Well until I crossthreaded my new hose due to it being to long. $54.36 later, I had another end to replace the damaged one and a new steel tee fitting for the one I damaged. I really started inspecting every inch of hose on the wrecker and found the second line on that same side looks questionable (rusted/splitting fitting). Also a hose at the rear of the boom looks like it's starting to separate from the crimp section when the boom is at full lift. There's another main hose (about 7ft long) that is missing a small section of the outer jacket exposing the steel braided inside.

So my question is this. Rather than spending mega bucks for custom hoses. Does anyone know of a cheap source of premade hyd hoses? It appears that most of these hoses are 1" npt male ends with a few -16's here and there. I haven't found any oddball fittings yet.

insanejecke

Message me what you are looking for I could ask my boss we make our hoses on sight for the trailers. and how much oil as well? Not sure if he say yes, but I could always ask you know i love asking.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found out that dedicated hyd stores are much cheaper than auto parts stores. The two auto parts stores that do hoses locally cost a arm and a leg compared to the local hyd place. It can still get expensive when you get big and/or long hoses though.

The replaceable ends will save you money in the long run but they cost quite a bit more up front. It might be a good idea to have a few on hand and some hose if you have several hoses the same size with the same fittings.

I'm not real fond of the idea of ordering custom made hoses over the internet. My luck I'd get one a inch too short or a wrong fitting and end up with a useless piece of hose.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I had my money pit (AKA a M816) I replaced 2 of the boom hoses to the tune of around 250 bucks. I sat down and figured if I was to replace all of them it would have cost over 3 grand. The big hoses cost big bucks. The guy that made mine said he would cut me a deal if I did all of them at once. Buying fluid by the 55 gal drum may save you some money.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aeroquip re-usable fittings ,they cost more to start , but save money in the long run if you plan on keeping it . Buy the hose and make what you need.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having worked at an auto parts store for close to 20 years the highest mark ups are on bolts, brass fittings, light bulbs, fuses, and hydraulic hoses and fittings.

As mentioned, dedicated hose jobbers and independent mobile vans with portable crimpers that make them on the spot are your best $ bet.

The problem with hydraulic oil is the spec you need to meet. Cheap universal R/O hydraulic in 5 gal buckets are sold at many places but you need to read the label to get the right spec. Depending on the spec the price skyrockets to get the proper additive package on the base stock. Hydraulic oil is not always "universal" in application. Look at Valvoline's website and you will see how many different grades are out there from just one supplier to cover the market.

Motor oil is not the correct use for hydraulics that I remember. No anti foam or other special additives there. Internal engine properties are totally different than hydraulics using pressure for fluid. Most hydraulics use thinner viscosity than most motor oil typically around 10-20w.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about any hyd oil will work fine in these military wreckers. You could even use ATF of you wanted (which is really a type of hyd oil anyway). You are correct that there are many types of hyd oil and some systems can be picky but these old wreckers use such a simple system that just about any oil that is close to the proper weight will work fine.

I have seen people use engine oil before but I'd want to stay with no more than a 20 weight non-detergent oil. Around here engine oil cost more than R&O hyd oil so I really don't know why you'd want to run engine oil unless you can get some cheap.

welldigger

I can't say for the military wreckers but I have a mini skid steer that uses 10w-30 or 15w-40 diesel engine oil for its hydraulic fluid. Strange I know......and expensive. I wish it took normal hydraulic oil.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tractor supplys hydraulic/trans oil is the cheapest that I have found.
It is. I recently bought a Galion 150 crane (old, leaky and need of TLC......fits in with our hobby) and was in need of about 100 gallons of hydraulic fluid. I called a good friend in the oil business, and a 55 gallon drum was about $7.50/gallon for AW32 or AW46 (that's without the $25 drum deposit he was going to cover). Tractor supply in 5 gallon buckets is the way to go (about $7/gallon).

They have hoses, but the largest I've seen there is 3/4" (I bought a bunch of 1/2" for my plows hydraulics).

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"affordable" and "hydraulic" are generally two words that don't go together.

If you have a wrecker, expensive fluid and hydraulic parts and hoses will be a part of your life. Roy's M936 that I've been using leaks so bad, I have to put 10 gallons in it to use it. So I plan on doing lots of lifts in a short amount of time to make it worth the money.

The reuseable fittings and bulk hose are the cheapest way to go in the long run. Most of the hoses on the 816/543 bed are 1 in. A M936 has many more and several sizes.

bigboy44

When I changed the hoses on my wrecker, My cousin made 15 hoses for me for 3 cases of beer!!!!!!! Later on he told me that the material would have cost close to 4 grand. I drained my fluid in a 500 tote and pumped it right back in to the wrecker through a set of filters and I came up about 20 gallons short. My 936 hold 100 gallons of hyd. oil so the way I see it my cousin saved me about 4 grand, the hoses and the oil cost be about 250 bucks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two years ago at the GA Rally I sold a BUNCH of hydraulic hose (a tri-wall full) that came with something I was bidding on and wanted. Gimpy picked it up for me from Columbus. A local hydraulic guy was very pleased to buy all the hose for what I'd spent on the entire lot. Don't remember if it had any one inch hose in it or not. I remember a bunch of it was rated at 6000 PSI.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks