• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Afghans to get HMMWVs

GoldComet6

FYI:

Aug 13/10: The Pentagon announced a firm-fixed-price contract for 2,526 M1152A1 HMMWVs with area troop enclosures and the B2 up-armoring kit [PDF], on behalf of the Afghan police force and Afghan National Guard. The estimated face value is $619 million, the current equivalent of AFA 28.3 billion.

Work is to be performed in South Bend, IN with an estimated completion date of Dec 31/13. One bid was solicited with one bid received by the US Army TACOM in Warren, MI (W56HZV-10-C-0405).

This is not technically an American HMMV order, and so it is not included in our coverage of US military orders in 2009-2010. On the other hand, if financed by the Afghan government, this order would represent about 85% of Afghanistan’s 2009/10 security budget all by itself, and about 41% of all domestic revenue, per the Ministry of Finance’s 2008-13 strategic plan [PDF].

Prerunner1982

I realize they probably need this type of equipment to be effective, but I can help thinking that this puts it out there for the Taliban to use against us.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see it now, threads on SS from Afghans wanting to know "how do I turn the headlights on?", or "what is this cable and padlock for?", or "what do I need to lift this 4 inches?" or "what towbar and feet fits this?".......

GoldComet6

I can see it now, threads on SS from Afghans wanting to know "how do I turn the headlights on?", or "what is this cable and padlock for?", or "what do I need to lift this 4 inches?" or "what towbar and feet fits this?".......
I can see them posting to ask about buying used HMMWV parts off GL and getting them shipped via fedex.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Looks like another gooberment boondoggle and azz whipping for the American tax payer.

This is why we have a crushing national debt that our childrens children will be paying off.

Maybe we should take a cut of the hash and opium money to pay for these vehicles.

Most warfare is a direct result of failed diplomacy.

The reason we are losing the war on terrorism is because our leadership lacks the will to utterly destroy the terrorists waging war on us.

This means killing enough of them to the point that they no longer have the will or means to attack our way of life.

maynard83

After watching this sad display, I am sure they are going to need plenty of assistance from the members of this forum:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdggP7rw0mg&p=6B77F65BA6BE5827&playnext=1&index=10[/media]

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay classy, Georgia. :roll:

They actually build homes from mud-like clay. It's far better than thin and cheap sheet rock.

Smart fellows, building homes of clay. They probably knew that the Chinese sheetrock (drywall/gypsumboard) has cancer causing properties in it.

Okay, back on topic. I am guessing that this is probably the first such contract for new vehicles, rather than hand-me-downs, for them. And yes, the Taliban will get their hands on these as soon as the US leaves, if not sooner.

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Stay classy, Georgia. :roll:

They actually build homes from mud-like clay. It's far better than thin and cheap sheet rock.
Fair enough...my joke has been removed.

It's a debate for another forum, but the homes that I have seen video and pics of were not "far better". It is an extremely poor country after all.

My frustration is that these trucks will require regular maintenance and a good parts supply to keep them serviceable in this harsh environment. I doubt they'll get enough in Afghan service to remain in use for very long. Just hate to see pics of them abandoned and wasting away in a few years. Or worse, be in hands of our taliban enemies in Afghanistan or end up in Iran.

Last edited:

jasonjc

:ditto::ditto: For the most part don't they use like toyota's with a gun mount in back??

But on the bright side maybe some one could go over there in a few years and buy them back cheap:grin::grin:

XM 2742

I guess Osama and all the warlord friends of karzi will use the vehicles when they shop for allies in pakistan. For that matter, how much opium can ya haul in a Hummvee?

rudedog

look at the new oshkosh trucks let the have the hummvee i would love to have a hummvee but the but the new truck is bad ass. As long as there pay for them let them have them maybe am general will come up with something even better for all of our troops.

bugei

what jason said. $245,000 EACH. WTF?

i thought i had dropped a decimal place and redid the math a few times

cool deal if we werent paying for them

Jimma

We probably were paying for them in some kind of aid deal. The reality is we might be targeting them soon as our enemies get them and drive them.

aximony

Fair enough...my joke has been removed.

It's a debate for another forum, but the homes that I have seen video and pics of were not "far better". It is an extremely poor country after all.
I think you'll find this interesting:

http://[URL="http://<br /> [URL="http://tiny.cc/db3yz""[URL="http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/05/27/once_upon_a_time_in_afghanistan"]When Kabul had rock 'n' roll and pencil skirts.[/url]

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/05/27/once_upon_a_time_in_afghanistan

Last edited:

Kevin C

I've never kept up with the war much, but that's ridiculous. Why don't they just give them a bunch of ICBM's too, already pre-aimed at us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks