• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

African CUCV smoke trouble

hobie237

THe major debate in the African 4x4 world are the Land Cruisers and the Land Rovers... the drivers are die-hard fans of the brands and will never be caught dead driving anything else. My plan is to through a spanner in the works and show the guys that the CUCV will run cirlces around them both! Lets hope mine doesn't let me down! :-D Maybe a front locker will be a good addition!

Our December road trip is going to be up to Dar es Salam in Tanzania for new year. Botswana-Zambia-Malawi- Tanzania then ferry across to Zanzibar for the parties! Should be a good 5000 mile round trip with some nasty mud and adventure! Looking forward to pulling some Cruisers and LAndy's out!

Where abouts is your friend based in Tanzania? Ever been out that side of the world?

That sounds cool! I've never been over there. I forget the name of the place he's from, but it's right at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro, if that helps.

Old63B20

THanks for the background on the 6.2.
I also agree that I don't think it's anti-freeze... Distinct smell of diesel. The last thing to really try is the injector pump if the smoke does not clear up in a couple of days of driving around town. Maybe it just needs to get up to operating temps. What is the average cost of a rebuild in the states? The 1 local injector pump shop recons about 1800 pula... $225. Seems to good to be true! Do you know what are the main components i should make sure he repalces? Might be a long shot but thanks again for your input.
Chillin, $225 for an injector pump overhaul is a "smoking deal". By the time you added shipping costs both ways, including insurance, you cannot touch that price here in the states. Although it's been quite some time since I worked on any 6.2 engines, it was pricey back then to get the injector pumper overhauled, and I would guess that at today's prices it could be $400 or more US dollars.

As long as your air filter element is clean, there are no obstructions in your air intake system, your injector pump is properly timed and you've cleaned and tested your injectors, I would say to just go ahead and put some miles on it and do not baby it. If after say, 1,000 miles or so, you notice the problem hasn't improved at all, then my first preference would be to get the injector pump overhauled, especially due to the heat is has been exposed to when considering the age of the vehicle. Also, sometimes things tend to gum up and stick when sitting for prolonged periods of time. I would recommend a good injector system cleaner additive to put in your fuel tank. I don't know what is available in your country, but ask around at the repair shop who quoted you the pump overhaul price, and ask what they recommend.

Hope this helps!

Old 63B20(Old Army MOS for Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic).... OUT!

Last edited: