• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

after 12 years

m109a2

Congrads on w/w duece that was key for me since we can go were a wecker can not.Just take your time make a plan and goal,And log everything.Carwash is always A good idea,But your best resource is this site.Al

orrisd4

well i said i would have pics so here they are , as well as an update

GEDC0075.jpgGEDC0080.jpgGEDC0079.jpgGEDC0072.jpgGEDC0078.jpgGEDC0077.jpgGEDC0083.jpg
ok first is a shot of the roof , yes that is structural rust and it goes all the way around,
second is the fuel tank halfway painted, third is the back as of yet un painted, fourth is the drivers side front cab corner, nice little piece of sheet metal work to do ,aprox 4 hours , maybe 5 if my welder decides it wants to be difficult ,5 is the passenger side fender , it is just getting replaced , not even trying with it.pic 6 passenger side rocker pannel , going to replace the panel as soon as weather breaks. last pic im standing on the bed rails of an 87 chevy taking the shot

so as this is where it has started and im not seeing a better place , this has become my restoration thread, of there is someplace more appropriate sound off.

oh , and incase anyone is wondering , i plan to junk that bed as soon as my backhoe arrives , im ordering a new one to drop on.

orrisd4

ok i forgot to add this earlier , the title says my deuce is a '68 kaiser jeep
the hard-top says '78
and the entire drivetrain says '85
so this thing had to have been rebuilt more times than germany

orrisd4

cab is an interesting thing , i will fix it , but for the time being , it is getting a soft-top for the summer.
the body work i can do , but the bed is a lot worse than even the photos show

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cab is an interesting thing , i will fix it , but for the time being , it is getting a soft-top for the summer.
the body work i can do , but the bed is a lot worse than even the photos show
You can replace a cab in a day and pretty cheap.

orrisd4

i dont want to.

my old man is a mechanic for the letterkenny army repair depot currently rebuilding mraps, &has more than 7 years of experience rebuilding these and trucks like these
my grand dad works at the same depot 5 years there, with 35 years of diesel engine experience(was the lead mechanic for cat engines for something like 30 years)
and i worked as a welder/ fabricator for empire kosher for two years while getting through school , so i feel like this is going to be more fun replacing as few parts as possible , and repairing everything else

orrisd4

ok i got the passenger side fender off , in multiple pieces.

got REALLY irritated when i got to the exhaust pipe , thought i had 1 small pin hone to fix ended up taking a sawzaw and removing it .

the thing looked like it was peppered with buckshot it had that many holes, got the turbo inspected , and my lifter pump reassembled , if the weather holds im going to fire here up this weekend

orrisd4

a sorry incident

new batteries in, fuel system bled, and no fuel , got exactly zero coming out of the hydraulic head , looks like all that diarrhea fuel left me a little parting gift in plugging up my HH, so now i have several days of headache to look forward to

orrisd4

Awakened

The beast lives again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQyozA8Dp7M

the hydraulic head repair was relatively easy thanks to kennys@wi.rr.com ,and his detailed takedown log ,

somehow the split collet, the retaining clip and that little button all ended up at the bottom of my injector pump, after a THOROUGH cleaning with a can and a half of carb cleaner , and 10 min with a set of needle nose pliers i got the thing back together , and you see the result above , she fired within a second of getting the lines re-bled.

the good lord provides , im my case it was a simple repair

orrisd4

thank you , and no i have a LOT of body work and sheet metal work ahead of me , i do mean a LOT of it.
took the doors off getting ready to remove the roof and back window
i got the brakes all bled today ,royal pain in the hind end , physically getting to them was the hard part .
had grand-pappy running the pedal , while i did the actual bleeding, my old man stood around telling dirty/really really dirty jokes the whole time.\\

and finally i got to drive her for the very first time today, so very happy. ran over several trees and through a ditch , in low first nothing stopped this truck,

now that i have felt the diesel fire , i will move a stupidly fast pace, i shall have her road worth before winter, this december im driving her to the gun show in harrisburg

orrisd4

ok so i spent this past weekend getting her bed off, it is now destined for the pheasant valley scrap yard after i pull anything salvageable off.
photos to come when i get a chance , but aside from a good bit of surface scale and dirt the frame is in amazing shape for a '68.
both glad hands need replaced , as well as their control valves , got the pintle hitch moving took a can of pb blaster and a crow-bar but i got it unstuck, gave all the grease nipples a shot of red lithium and she is moving free,all in all a good use of a weekend.

also i ordered a full set of filters and belts for her , the whole set only set me back 80 bucks , thats both oil filters all three fuel filters , both genny belts, and an air-compressor belt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks