• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

After Months of Research and Looking... We Finally bought an M35A3 Deuce

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey All,

After a lot of time thinking about what Truck to get, and hours of searching and waiting on auctions. We finally decided to bid on an decent looking 93' M35A3 w/w that was listed on GL. But when the dust settled, I got outbid....

But I'm Glad I got outbid this time! Because just a couple hours later we found a private dealer in IL, who had a 96', that was rebuilt by military in 2001! Low Miles, Low Hours. So I called him up, asked him several questions about the truck. He has already went through the truck mechanically. The CTIS even works with a newly rebuilt Computer. And it even has a fresh coat of CARC. We thought about it for a few minuets, called him back and made a deal!

So as soon as he gets the title back and everything is squared away, which should be in about a week, just gota go pick it up.

Attached a few Photos of it, what do you think?

As a newbie to the Deuce and MV's. I've been reading threads on here for months. So now, while I'm waiting to pick up the truck, I'm beginning to go back and search the threads on here as to what modifications I should do. Not looking to "hotrod" it or anything. But more along the lines of "needed" modifications for safety or ease of use.

One thing I know for sure, I really got to free up some leg room. I'm 6'4" and long legs. I know that there is a way to drop the brake pedal, and I've read about moving the steering column (not sure I get how that works exactly, but I'm sure it'll make more sense once I get the truck and can actually look at the mount)
I've also read about the "air regulator" being removed from the air assist steering, and that if this is done it will increase the efficiency of the air assist. Any down side to this? Like wear and tare or ???
I would also like to get the ALT bracket that is being made by member TM America, to add in a separate
12v alt-batt system. Seems like the best way to go. Hope they're still making them.
I've also read that some members are converting their Alice transmissions from motor oil back to ATF, because they said it makes a big improvement in shifting and smoother action in general. So I'm going to look into that.

Any other mods/updates or suggestions I should be considering?

Thanks All!

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats this about removing the air regulator for better performance? First I have ever heard of it. The color looks... Strange... Nice looking truck though.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't listen to them! The colour looks very good on the truck.

It appears that your research, patience and pulling the trigger quickly when it counted netted you a very clean and complete truck.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats this about removing the air regulator for better performance? First I have ever heard of it. The color looks... Strange... Nice looking truck though.

There is a lot of scattered posts about the regulator, but I've really only found one actual Thread addressed specifically about it.

Basically, from what I understand, if regulator is working 100% properly, your steering should also working at 100% assistance. However, these regulators apparently have a high rate of failure, in full or partial. Even if is still working, to varying degrees, you may still be loosing air around/through the seal for the adjustment screw. Meaning this air isn't reaching your power steering, causing from "less than efficient steering" for a small leak, to even the "entire loss of air assisted steering" when a regulator fails completely. And it also means, depending upon how much air is being lost, it could be causing your compressor to over work trying to compensate for the loss.

In any-case, it apparently isn't even really needed on the deuce because the deuce doesn't have that high of PSI to begin with. From what I have read, the regulator is to "regulate down" the PSI for 200+ PSI compression system. But the deuce's compression system is only about 130 PSI.

Some people replace them, with many adjusted fully open. While others just eliminate them altogether from the system with a simple brass compression union.

Again this is just from my research and reading so far, as I haven't even picked up my deuce yet. But this will be toward the top of my "first time maintenance and check" list.

I first ran across a post in an unrelated thread, where someone mentioned the regulator problem. But after some searching, this is the best (and only dedicated) Thread that I have found so far about the Air Regulator, and it even has photo's [thumbzup]
http://tinyurl.com/8x5yc6g

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats!
Interesting color though? In the pics anyway...
Very nice!!:smile:
I like the color the way it is. Looks sharp.
Don't listen to them! The colour looks very good on the truck.

It appears that your research, patience and pulling the trigger quickly when it counted netted you a very clean and complete truck.

You Sir have a very nice looking rig . Congrats on the purchase.
The color looks... Strange... Nice looking truck though.
Congratulations, looks like a nice truck. Hope it serves you well.
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the club!
Let the projects begin... :beer:
Thanks Everyone for your comments!

Yeah, you know I think the color is starting to grow on me...
Might have to name it Kermit.
:lol:

:whistle: "...It Ain't Easy bein' Green..."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZxxHbJGbY[/media]

Last edited: