• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket alternator

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Farmers in KS use 939series trucks as silage trucks. One of them had an alternator go bad last fall and needed one right then. I sold him the one off my M936A2.

So now I need one for me. I seem to remember there was an aftermarket option that wasn't terribly expensive and wasn't a particularly difficult install.

Anybody remember what it was?

Last edited:

162tcat

A delco 24si will fit. Abundant, reliable and cheap. They just need a positive and ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 98G

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
24si says it's 12V. Maybe 28si?

Whatever this one is -
The one you have shown is a brushless style. I forget exactly the nomenclature for it, but I had one for a brief minute that I bought from a forum member, and due to the large pulley and the brushless design, it would not charge below about 900 engine rpm if I am remembering correctly. That was not acceptable to my use case so I sent it back.

Looking back at the minimal documentation I do have on that transaction, I can't determine exactly what I have now. It is a brushed style, maybe 31si? I remember having to replace the J180 long mount at the top with a shorter bracket bought from Cummins and I had to make a new link for the third bolt out of flat stock. I have a different belt length now too, but I was able to size it to a shorter / more common / cheaper belt from a Dodge application. Let me know if you want me to get pictures of my setup for you, I will be by the truck this afternoon.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not take your friend's old failed alternator to a rebuilder? The rebuilder I use turns them around in one day normally.

Reactions: 98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not take your friend's old failed alternator to a rebuilder? The rebuilder I use turns them around in one day normally.
It wasn't really a friend. I don't know the guy. The deal was he'd give me the old failed one.

I was going to put the bad one on my truck simply for a place holder to give the belt something to ride, and keep the batteries charged by means of a charger.

The guy ghosted me.

I don't really care if I have a working alternator or not. The wrecker won't be making any long road trips. I can leave it plugged in when parked.

I put a want to buy ad on here for a nonworking alternator. No responses.

My wrecker has been sitting in the field INOP for a few months now. It was really inconvenient when I sold my deuce last week and needed to lift my welder out of the bed and had to ask the neighbor to do it...

So at this point, I'm simply looking for the path of least resistance to get something on my wrecker so that I can use it to move heavy awkward useless crap, like the transmission in a can that I just bought....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one you have shown is a brushless style. I forget exactly the nomenclature for it, but I had one for a brief minute that I bought from a forum member, and due to the large pulley and the brushless design, it would not charge below about 900 engine rpm if I am remembering correctly. That was not acceptable to my use case so I sent it back.

Looking back at the minimal documentation I do have on that transaction, I can't determine exactly what I have now. It is a brushed style, maybe 31si? I remember having to replace the J180 long mount at the top with a shorter bracket bought from Cummins and I had to make a new link for the third bolt out of flat stock. I have a different belt length now too, but I was able to size it to a shorter / more common / cheaper belt from a Dodge application. Let me know if you want me to get pictures of my setup for you, I will be by the truck this afternoon.
Good information, thanks!

I'm not really concerned with much beyond getting something for the belt to ride. My use case for the wrecker means it's almost always at 1600rpm anyway, and it can even stay plugged in when parked.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance you’re making any trips out east in the near future? I have one you can have that “should” be good on my other a2 that has a dropped valve. If not, I need to find a way to get out your direction one of these days and buy some of your “useless” stuff anyhow!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any chance you’re making any trips out east in the near future? I have one you can have that “should” be good on my other a2 that has a dropped valve. If not, I need to find a way to get out your direction one of these days and buy some of your “useless” stuff anyhow!
No trips planned, but I'll happily buy it from you and pay shipping. I'll send you a PM with my number...

Tha ks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks