• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket gauges

Niuhi

Has anyone on here switched out their gauges for an aftermarket like Autometer or VDO. I'm curious as to how they were wired. Did you make adapters and use original harness or did you bypass the factory and rewire. I'm really not sold on the originals, plus I'd like to add some like boost, trans temp and tach.

Ronmar

The gauges used are off the shelf. They used a pigtail to interface the gauge threaded terminals to the plug-in gauge connectors on the harness. If replacing, you should be able to re-use the pigtails. Any new electrical gauges will of course need to be interfaced to power and their sensors and wiring added.

Always been a fan of mechanical gauges for their simplicity. I have contemplated shifting a few back to mechanical like oil pressure and air pressure, and adding boost and base fuel pressure. Then replace the voltmeter with a digital and configure it to read 12 and 24v busses... would probably replace fuel and temp with matching electrical...

Niuhi

The gauges used are off the shelf. They used a pigtail to interface the gauge threaded terminals to the plug-in gauge connectors on the harness. If replacing, you should be able to re-use the pigtails. Any new electrical gauges will of course need to be interfaced to power and their sensors and wiring added.

Always been a fan of mechanical gauges for their simplicity. I have contemplated shifting a few back to mechanical like oil pressure and air pressure, and adding boost and base fuel pressure. Then replace the voltmeter with a digital and configure it to read 12 and 24v busses... would probably replace fuel and temp with matching electrical...
I was thinking the same thing. I also agree with preferring the mechanical as I've always liked the full sweep of the dial on mechanical. I currently use Autometer in my 1 ton and have used them in miscellaneous Mopars, but unfortunatly they aren't going to have some of the gauges. I don't think they have the 24 volt or brake air guage, but still looking. Raneystruckparts.com has a nice selection of tractor gauges, but of course I have a particular Autometer I like, may just have to have an odd make or two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks