• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Trans Pan?

caladin

Anyone replaced the trans pan with an aftermarket model? I would like to add a drain plug if Im going to do it. Still unsure if I need it considering when I change the fluid Im going to replace the filter too.

tm america

Nothing wrong with aftermarket pans as long as it's not chrome..or a cheapy.. The chrome pans are made of thin soft metal they will distort and leak..We sell cast aluminum pans with drain plugs at my job .. They are avilable from jegs and summit to ..The ones we sell are less than 100 bucks ..

Apoc Bane

I bought this one - 12.99 - stamped steel.

Removed link for possiblity of active auctions -- search ebay for this

"CHROME EXTRA DEEP TH400 TRANSMISSION PAN W/ DRAIN PLUG"

If you get a standard th400 replacement pan you'll have to get a different filter.

The th400 on the m1009 uses the deep replacement pan, with the deep filter.

DXTAC

HERE'S the one I bought. Can't use the bung for the sending unit as it hits the front driveshaft though. When I change the fluid I'm gonna weld another one in. Nice because it's deep (another almost 4 quarts) and has cooling tubes (I don't go muddin'). Keeps the tranny nice and cool. I also added a trans cooler too.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tranny pan for the TH400 in the HMMWV has the drain plug in it.

It's the correct pan for the job. THEY ARE TOUGH TO FIND THOUGH. No one seems to know where to find them.

If anyone knows a source for the HMMWV TH400 tranny pan, I would love to know.

I have one on my TH400 in my M1028A2...

JUNKYARDJOHN

I like to put an aluminum pan, trans cooler & a good trans. temp gauge on any truck that I plan on driving. Heat is you're trannys enemy. It's what kills em. JOHN :smile:

JUNKYARDJOHN

It's not about abuse. Its about monitering your trans. temperature. Heat is the #1 cause of failure. It's akin to saying "I DON'T NEED AN WATER TEMP OR OIL PRESSURE GAGE" because I don't abuse my truck. Most drivers overheat they're transmissions without ever knowing it. Then after the clutch plates are burnt, & it's slipping, they think to change the filter & fluid, hopeing it will majically undo the damage. IT'S TOO LATE. :shock: The damage is already done. I 've never lunched a transmission in a truck with a trans. temp. gage. It's way to easy to pull over & let the tranny cool off if your aware of it.....but if you don't know??? (I also put an inline spin-on oil filter in my tranny line, so it's easy to change every 10,000 miles) IT'S CHEAP & EASY COMPARED TO R & R ING A TRANNY. I haven't destroyed one in over 30 years. Most people will change thier engine oil every 3,000 miles, but don't think to do any p.m. to there tranny till they have problems with it. John

Last edited:

caladin

It's not about abuse. Its about monitering your trans. temperature. Heat is the #1 cause of failure. It's akin to saying "I DON'T NEED AN WATER TEMP OR OIL PRESSURE GAGE" because I don't abuse my truck. Most drivers overheat they're transmissions without ever knowing it. Then after the clutch plates are burnt, & it's slipping, they think to change the filter & fluid, hopeing it will majically undo the damage. IT'S TOO LATE. :shock: The damage is already done. I 've never lunched a transmission in a truck with a trans. temp. gage. It's way to easy to pull over & let the tranny cool off if your aware of it.....but if you don't know??? (I also put an inline spin-on oil filter in my tranny line, so it's easy to change every 10,000 miles) IT'S CHEAP & EASY COMPARED TO R & R ING A TRANNY. I haven't destroyed one in over 30 years. Most people will change thier engine oil every 3,000 miles, but don't think to do any p.m. to there tranny till they have problems with it. John
You got me thinking... Would you be willing to start a new thread on this with pics and maybe a write up on how to do it. IT would be greatly appreciated!

JUNKYARDJOHN

You got me thinking... Would you be willing to start a new thread on this with pics and maybe a write up on how to do it. IT would be greatly appreciated!
YEAH... I guess I will. I'm pretty computer illiterate, so I can't do any fancy stuff... like vidios. I'm just getting ready to put an inline filter, trans cooler & tran.s temp. gage in my 84 M1009. I'm also replacing the oil cooler lines with hydraulic hoses. (those stock aluminum lines seem a little too cheasy for my liking) I will take some pic.s , & try too pass on a little information. John :beer:

caladin

YEAH... I guess I will. I'm pretty computer illiterate, so I can't do any fancy stuff... like vidios. I'm just getting ready to put an inline filter, trans cooler & tran.s temp. gage in my 84 M1009. I'm also replacing the oil cooler lines with hydraulic hoses. (those stock aluminum lines seem a little too cheasy for my liking) I will take some pic.s , & try too pass on a little information. John :beer:
John that would be awesome. Thanks for taking the time.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks