• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aftermarket Turbo install versus 700R4 transmission swap...

wayne pick

The only negitive with the 700 in a truck that has 4.56 gears is that first gear us almost useless unless your pulling a heavy load. I actually had to learn how to drive my truck with a 700R4&Banks turbo becuase the turbo spins up fast when going from 1st to 2nd due to the lo 1st trans/4.56 rear gear combination. The RPMs soar if im not light on the throttle. The only time I can really get into it is when it shifts 2nd to 3rd and the turbo comes alive. I pulls hard, really hard and keeps pulling into 4th. I leave it in 3rd untill I hit the highway becuase it is constantly shifting up and down in hilly terrain, annother negitive. Also the combination of the 700/banks gives me outstanding fuel mileage. The positives outweigh the negitives.

WARWAG

The only negitive with the 700 in a truck that has 4.56 gears is that first gear us almost useless unless your pulling a heavy load. I actually had to learn how to drive my truck with a 700R4&Banks turbo becuase the turbo spins up fast when going from 1st to 2nd due to the lo 1st trans/4.56 rear gear combination. The RPMs soar if im not light on the throttle. The only time I can really get into it is when it shifts 2nd to 3rd and the turbo comes alive. I pulls hard, really hard and keeps pulling into 4th. I leave it in 3rd untill I hit the highway becuase it is constantly shifting up and down in hilly terrain, annother negitive. Also the combination of the 700/banks gives me outstanding fuel mileage. The positives outweigh the negitives.

I believe with 35" to 37" tires you wouldnt have that problem as much.

With all this talk.... you guys are really making me think... now is the time to do the turbo, instsead of this winter. Im just wondering if i have everything...

turbo? check....
down pipe/clamps and shield? check..
p side manifold? check...
intake? check...
Oil feed and return line ( including fuel plate return ) check.... ( all from a donor 6.5L)
case of beer? Check... wait.... Check.... never hurts to double check the important items....
Propane for grill and Deer steaks? Check....

Oh its gonna be fun times in the dungeon.....

only thing i think is needed would be an air filter to turbo, exhaust wrap, and intake gasket kit..

Am I overlooking something? (maybe another case of beer, never hurts to keep shop frig fully stocked....)

Last edited:

wired1000

Just a minute here... you say 80mph with a stock M1009? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, because anything over 55-60mph and the engine sounds like it's redlined. (checking speed with a gps, btw). I've also got a stock M1009 and am trying to figure out how to get it to have a higher top speed. Should I just not worry about the engine running so fast? Have been planning to do bigger tires first, then a 700r4.

Maybe someday I'll rebuild an engine and put a turbo on it, but for now I feel like a turbo would just stress my engine out and quicken its demise.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you shifting into third gear? A stock M1009 should be able to do high way speeds all day long with the tall 3.08 gear.

wayne pick

As said above, That truck should run at highway speeds with 3.08s. I'd check to see if it indeed has 3.08 gears. I don't really know too much about 1009s, didn't some have 4.10 gear ratios? That could explain the high RPMs at highway speeds. I would strongly discourage putting a 700 in a truck that has 3.08 gears. OD would be a highway only gear as it will constantly "hunt" up and down from 4th to 3rd as soon as you go up the slightest grade and over time it will eventually burn up. I believe civi blazers had 4.10 gears behind the 700R4 so that is an option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks