• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ahhhhhhh help

maritimer

lol i went to pop the hood on my m1009 and the cable broke off under the hood at the latch. how do i get it open LOL without a sledge hammer and pry bar

acetomatoco

go to another chevy and study the situation, then get under and release the latch with aforementioned screwdriver

AJMBLAZER

Hey, coming to the game late...what are you doing to replace it? Mine sticks every now and then and this is in the back of my head.

maritimer

well for the time being i just greased the snot out of the latch and ran what was left of the broken cable down through the grill to open it i give it a tugg. when i have some free $$$ i will replace the whole cable assmbly

AJMBLAZER

Ah.

Time for a fiberglass hood and pins perhaps?

That'd be my solution...but I'm lazy and these cables never work right anyways.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Re: RE: ahhhhhhh help

maritimer said:
well for the time being i just greased the snot out of the latch and ran what was left of the broken cable down through the grill to open it i give it a tugg. when i have some free $$$ i will replace the whole cable assmbly
I had an old Road Runner that I opened the hood that way. :D

maritimer

i have something similar in mind as a fiber glass hood but thinking the whole front clip like the big rigs. hinged at the front it might strip some weight off it in turn giving it some noticable increase in power

mr.travo

Do not "grease" the hood latch. Grease attracts dirt and gunk. It may work for a little bit, but will go to crap again.

The one thing I have found that works best (IMHO) is Liquid Wrench Dry Lube. Clean the hood latch VERY good for all the built up gunk and crap. Spray the dry lube on all parts and let it sit. Move the catch around and spray it again. After you let it sit for a while, your hood will work again like new.

If anyone knows of a better product out there, I am all ears.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks