• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Assist- OPINIONS wanted

DavisM38

I just bought my first M35a2 and am looking into putting an Air-o-matic power steering assist unit into it. What are your thoughts on this? Are there any drawbacks to it? Input would be appreciated. 2cents :D Thanks.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They definitely save your arms that's for sure! Keep in mind they are not a true "power steering" so you won't turn the wheel with one finger but they are 1/3 the price of a power steering kit and don't require and major modifications. They are a true "bolt on" kit and you will be much happier with one than without one. Another bonus is you can get rid of the oversized deuce steering wheel and find one off of an A3 and get more room behind the wheel.

combat32

I never put one on any of mine, just didn't see the cost being worth the benefit. But then again I am a traditional sort of guy and prefer my vehicles pretty much stock for their time period.

OD_Coyote

I never saw the need for air assist steering any of the M35s I have owned. As long as you are rolling they steer pretty easy, also I make it a point to never crank the wheel unless I am rolling on all of my vehicles.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have air assist on 4 of my trucks. It's especially helpful on my tipper and when I'm towing/backing trailers.

2012-04-14_10-11-53_717.jpg

42A20003 a.JPG

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never put one on any of mine, just didn't see the cost being worth the benefit. But then again I am a traditional sort of guy and prefer my vehicles pretty much stock for their time period.
Two of my trucks bought out of Camp Robinson came with the air assist already equipped for the fair price of a steering kit by itself. It was like getting the trucks for free.

dmetalmiki

Before I fitted air power to my M45 fire truck, it was a horrendous job turning at low speed and parking. (and) especially when fully loaded with water. Now It IS most pleasurable to drive. And you get "the attention" at shows with the <sound effects>!.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I see it as a safety issue. Yes you can turn just fine without it, but I am hoping(God forbid) if I have a blowout at speed, it might help me keep control of the truck. I really don't want to careen into a bus full of nuns holding babys.

welldigger

I see it as a safety issue. Yes you can turn just fine without it, but I am hoping(God forbid) if I have a blowout at speed, it might help me keep control of the truck. I really don't want to careen into a bus full of nuns holding babys.
One of my parts guys was driving a 5 ton and a front tire blew on him. He said if it weren't for the power steering he didn't think he could have kept it under control.

I agree gimp, manual steering on a large truck can be a safety hazard. Especially for me with 395s with no run flats. Between the extra height and speed a front tire blowout would be incredibly scary, especially without a way to keep the wheel from snatching right out of your hands.

Woodsplinter

I put it on my deuce and it is well worth it. It makes a huge difference- I wouldn't be without it. Full hydro is best but expensive.
Treva2 says he is selling one for $1200 which is a good price.
Treva, is that NOS or a take off?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if you have to buy one new, then the hydraulic power steering kit is actually cheaper, and much better. as to being bolt on installation, true you do actually have to drill 5 holes, but everything else is bolt on.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you have to buy one new, then the hydraulic power steering kit is actually cheaper, and much better. as to being bolt on installation, true you do actually have to drill 5 holes, but everything else is bolt on.

Wow, the hydraulic kits must have really come down in price!
I have purchased 5 air assist kits found in the SS classifieds over the last couple years and only paid over $1,000 one time,($1080.00). There were a couple new kits this summer in the SS classifieds for $1100. Recently I think a vendor sold a kit on here for $1500.
I think I would buy a hydraulic kit for $1100 also.

welldigger

To be fair to tom his kit and a new (direct from Maradyne) air assist kit are about the same price. Maradyne sells the kits directly for $2800 and if you buy 3 or more they are $2380. Tom's kit is right in that ball park fully rigged out.