• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Assist Steering Install...

archmark

When I purchased my M185A3 years ago, it came with a new Air Assist Steering assembly in the box. Now I'm ready to install it and need a little advice. The install instructions look pretty clear cut, so I'm looking for advice from anybody that's installed this system on a Deuce. Thanks in advance...

Mark

runk

It's been awhile, but here are the things I remember.
If you've got a heater on the fender, its inconvenient. I should have just pulled the heater out for the install.
Drilling the hole in the frame rail sucked, spend the money for a really good metal cutting hole saw.
The little black plastic regulators are junk and fail in a way that vents your air down to where-ever the protection valve is set. Later sets didn't include it, If your set has it, don't install it.
Since your assembly has been sitting for a while, valve and seals in the drag link sensor (un-repairable and un-available) and the air cylinder (repairable) may be sticky. Exercise the system with the front wheels up in the air, maybe with a little extra air tool oil in the ports, to free things up.
At idle, like in a tight parking situation, it uses air faster then the compressor can keep up.

Overall though it was one of the best improvements I've done.

Thread about installs-

Sounds like you have them but here are the install docs-

archmark

Thanks Runk,

Removing the heater is no problem. I prefer as much room to work in as possible. Not a big fan of trying to snake hoses or use rigged tools to get to some almost inaccessible space behind some other component.

I figured drilling the hole in that thick rail would be a real BE-ATCH, so a good hole saw is noted.

I assume you're saying not to install the black plastic regulators & keep the protection valve, correct?

Good idea on using the air tool oil to free up anything that might be sticky.

I had been thinking about maybe installing an additional air tank & upsize the compressor capacity anyway, so hopefully that'll help with the air bleed.

I got spoiled with the power steering on my M934, so anything to help having to manhandle the wheel in my deuce will probably be the best thing to make driving the Deuce almost enjoyable.

Thanks again for your help & advice Runk. After getting rid of the old non-directional tires, the air-assist steering is at the top om my list to get done...

runk

Absolutely keep the air protection valve ! (Saved my a$$ when the regulator died in heavy traffic).
I've also thought about another air tank. It is a bunch of back and forth for me to get my truck tucked into its parking space, and I often have to take a break for the air to catch up. A clean filter on the compressor's air intake makes a big difference.

MikeON

If there is thick paint or CARC on the tie rod, strip it off.

archmark

If there is thick paint or CARC on the tie rod, strip it off.

Thanks for the sitrep!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks