• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Assisted Power Steering

TeufelHunden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have clear concise drawings for drilling holes to install the subject steering. When I opened the package and looked at the drawings, they were blurred and the installation instructions refer to the drawings. I sure could use some help.:-? Thanks!:)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have clear concise drawings for drilling holes to install the subject steering. When I opened the package and looked at the drawings, they were blurred and the installation instructions refer to the drawings. I sure could use some help.:-? Thanks!:)
I will look around. I have a few sets of the installation prints somewhere.
Here's the installation pdf file.
I only drilled the fenderwell for the air lines on one truck and did not care for the way it works. Running the lines the way shown in the pic works better.

Attachments

Last edited:

mlwats1@hotmail.com

I learned the hard way as to the order of the air lines to the cylinder, if installed backwards it will act like a large windshield wiper turning left to right then right to left and not stop until the air is depleated.

dmetalmiki

the hardest part of the job is getting the spring hanger bolts off usually, you should have new ones in the kit. We (just) cut (with an angle grinder) the siezed ones through. and yes it would have been nice (logical actually as well as plain sense!) to size the air pipe connections out of the cylinder so that it was Impossible to connect them the wrong way round.

peashooter

Can someone take some pictures of the installed units, that would be real nice.
Its dark by the time i'm home from work now so I can't get you any good ones. Here are some older pics I had that just happen to have some air-o-matic stuff in them (I circled the components and labeld the pics). One of the ram mount castings broke on me one day which a picture shows, so I made a replacement out of aluminum after having no luck finding an original part outside of Maridyne.

The Draglink (the valve) is really the heart of the air-o-matic system and nearly unservicable (I only know of 1 person to successfully repair one). A person could fab a complete air-o-matic setup from easily purchased parts and some welded brackets if they had just the DRAG LINK VALVE to start with. The ram can be rebuilt (I did mine) or replaced with a different one, the many pipe fittings can be had from a hardware store/napa, hose and tubing can be found from Mcmaster.com, and the regulator can be deleted. So take care of the Drag link... put an air dryer in the supply line to it or something and give it some air tool oil once in a while. I called Maridyne a year or 2 ago to order a new piston seal for the ram and they told me since the military is done with these that their only other customer that still orders a handfull each year is a mexico city bus company that still had them on some busses they were phasing out.

Attachments

Last edited:

welldigger

Don't ask me why but Maradyne has had a change of heart and has continued making the air o matic for the deuce. They have kits in stock ready to ship.

welldigger

That's good news if they will supply spare parts as well.
I don't see why they wouldn't but in my correspondence with them I never asked. Meant to ask about the triangular bracket the air cylinder mounts to for gimp. But I found a n.o.s unit for a price I couldn't pass on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks