• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Bag ?

1951M1078

Could the spring pack be changed and could a air bag be installed where the spring pack pickups at the axle ? The photo is of a M1088. Not sure what the black object is ?

543988_5983_292_0001.jpg

Just thinking.
Randy

1951M1078

Not sure what size bags would need to be ? 2 on each side some air lines. Maybe some kind of regulator and control. Then their would be the mount. And that not to say I could or should be done.

What do you think ?

1951M1078

Here I'm working out a problem and don't even have one yet. LOL

Need to look at one in full travel and then the weights ? Then their is the pivot bridge to take the place of the spring pack. I'm told the 6 wheeler ride better but don't know.

DSD277

Here I'm working out a problem and don't even have one yet. LOL

Need to look at one in full travel and then the weights ? Then their is the pivot bridge to take the place of the spring pack. I'm told the 6 wheeler ride better but don't know.
I don't think you're working out a problem, but creating one.

Though I don't know if Steyr had a hand in the MTV ( but the suspension suggest it), Pinzgauers have had the same rear suspension on the 6x6's throughout their entire existent.

It is design to transfer load to both axles, and keep equal traction

And if you look at Range Rovers, they have a air bag system that puts the axles on the frame everytime the bags leak.... or some other malfunction.

1951M1078

I guess its more a design problem. Its more a could the steel springs be replaced with air springs. And I get the ,it works why try something .

I have see some of the big German truck have air springs. Just got me thinking ?

DSD277

I guess its more a design problem......
I don't know what you mean by that...? With the FMTVs, that usually means they don't understand it... which is most of the truck, and which automatically makes it a bad design.:evil:

Some of the problems are caused by people that think they're smarter than the engineers, and change things that make things worse. Then blame the design.

1951M1078

I don't know what you mean by that...? With the FMTVs, that usually means they don't understand it... which is most of the truck, and which automatically makes it a bad design.:evil:

Some of the problems are caused by people that think they're smarter than the engineers, and change things that make things worse. Then blame the design.
Lets call it a Design exercise. That is what there were called when I was in training.

jtron79

This suspension design is to spread a heavy load across both axles. It limits articulation because as the front picks up it loads the back spring. because of the springs it harsh unloaded but cheap to build and great at heavy loads. If you were to change this truck you could go with more of a hendrickson design with trailing arms and air bags. Our trucks at work with that design ride great. I think placing bags at the position indicated would result in failure, as the suspension loads it would potentially place more than 75% of the cargo load on that bag and possibly rupture it. Air suspension would also require a stiffer spring pack as less flex would be required not more.

Johno176

Best to save the brain teasing for the real issues that arise when you get your truck. The engineering is solid and the ride is quite good by design.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks