• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Box Modifications

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all. I have an M998 that I'm doing a 6.2 to 6.5l TD swap on and was looking at all the air box to see what could be done to help with air flow to the turbo. The filter looks like about 1/2 of it is covered with that baffle. Has anyone trimmed that baffle and or the stack to help with air flow? Any negative effects on what modifications you've done?

I do some light offroading with it so there is some dust and dirt where I go. Obviously, I don't want to do anything that will damage the engine but I do want to let it breath more.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That air box will flow many times what that turbo can pull, no need for modification.
EDIT, I am running a stock intake with a Duramax, it of course is monitored by the ECM and it has no issues with the stock intake, the numbers all look good (at up to 475HP) and the Duramax of course flows much more that the 6.5T.
the filter itself is grossly oversized to compensate for harsh battleground conditions.
I am convinced they only put the different hat on the Alpha just so it would be instantly identifiable, seeing it only has a 300HP tune in it.

Last edited:

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That air box will flow many times what that turbo can pull, no need for modification.
EDIT, I am running a stock intake with a Duramax, it of course is monitored by the ECM and it has no issues with the stock intake, the numbers all look good (at up to 475HP) and the Duramax of course flows much more that the 6.5T.
the filter itself is grossly oversized to compensate for harsh battleground conditions.
I am convinced they only put the different hat on the Alpha just so it would be instantly identifiable, seeing it only has a 300HP tune in it.
You are probably correct, just seems like a lot of unnecessary baffles blocking airflow path to the turbo.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.5L was the end of a miserably failed attempt by the gasoline engineers at GM to design a diesel engine.
I am not sure who at GM decided to go to folks at Isuzu that REALLY knew diesels to design the 6.6L but that guy deserves a medal, GM went from LESS than 4% of the light duty truck market to well over 30% now

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

Because my intake has to be a large K&N. I don't want to look at it all the time (most people leave them out exposed) so I was going to route it into the existing airbox and leave the lid off so it can get more air. That little round cap looks restrictive.

87cr250r

You do not want to use K&N filters in dusty off-road environments. They really aren't good for on-road either.

If you want the best of the best, replace the entire filter housing with a Donaldson PowerCore housing.

Vapor Trail

The guy that did the computer tuning said this works best so I’ll probably stick with that but I’ll look into the housing. I know Donaldson makes good stuff

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy that did the computer tuning said this works best so I’ll probably stick with that but I’ll look into the housing. I know Donaldson makes good stuff
That is a Donaldson type housing that is stock on the HMMWV, I would certainly not expose my filter to the wheel well where more dirt, dust and rocks can get into the filter.
If you want to stick with the K&N (which I also have a low opinion of because of the maintenance required to keep it effective) just leave it under the hood, sucking hot air is probably better than sucking up dirty air.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In fact Donaldson makes that filter #P521242
EDIT, looks like it has been discontinued......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks