• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air brake converter

davesgmc

Ok, stupid question, but i am gonna throw it out anyhow. I ahe a 5 ton,,,want to buy a tirailer to haul ferret on,,,have seen a few that are cheap,,but they have air brakes. being civvy trailers,,,they air work the opposite. is there a way to convert the trailer, or truck, to work properly?

98hd

Ok, stupid question, but i am gonna throw it out anyhow. I ahe a 5 ton,,,want to buy a tirailer to haul ferret on,,,have seen a few that are cheap,,but they have air brakes. being civvy trailers,,,they air work the opposite. is there a way to convert the trailer, or truck, to work properly?
Brakes will hook up, mil trailers use the same connections for the brakes. Only thing to worry about is adapting the plug in for the lights, and then the voltage of the bulbs on the trailer.

davesgmc

well, yes they will hook up,,,it aint gonna stop. civvy trialers take air pressure away to apply the brakes,,,mil applies air pressure to apply brakes,,,just eh opposite. to move the trailer i can hook it up to release the brakes, but it wont ever stop them,,taht is unless you drop your entire air pressure....not good.

Jake0147

No, not quite... Newer civvy trailer's require the emergency line to be hooked up (steady pressure) to release the parking brake (maxi-brake, spring brake, etc). Once that is released, the service brakes (what you use while driving) is activated by a pressure signal from the service line.

98hd

well, yes they will hook up,,,it aint gonna stop. civvy trialers take air pressure away to apply the brakes,,,mil applies air pressure to apply brakes,,,just eh opposite. to move the trailer i can hook it up to release the brakes, but it wont ever stop them,,taht is unless you drop your entire air pressure....not good.
I don't know about that, but I have seen several mil trucks on this site pulling civvy trailers, and I've seen civvy tractors pulling mil trailers. If there was anything that had to be done special I imagine I would have read about it on the forum. YMMV

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military trucks will operate the civilian trailer air-brakes, just fine. They are on opposite sides(cross hoses).

davesgmc

ok, i will bid away and see what i get

looking at a 15 ton 30 foot long flat baed,,,then i can move what ever i want when i want. put that big detriot to the test and see what she will pull