• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air brake pressure gauge malfunction in LMTV

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long does your shop air compressor hold air:) if everything is sealed and working properly it should hold air a long time…
Longer than my truck.

When I got her she wouldn't a few hours. Now if daily driving I don't hear the alarm. Three weeks of sitting she down to 60#—

Ronmar

Longer than my truck.

When I got her she wouldn't a few hours. Now if daily driving I don't hear the alarm. Three weeks of sitting she down to 60#—
Well I start by listening in a quite place, don’t, forget the vents on the front brake QR, rear relay and the pedal vent up behind the dash. Listen in on the glad-hands also.

Then I feel every line fitting and vent for any moving air.

Then I bubble mix every fitting And valve body, don’t forget the park and trailer controls and their fittings in the dash. Pretty common for the park valve to leak around the handle…

For the large vent ports, i cover them with something so the bubble mix has a small gap to form bubbles if there is any air coming out the vent… this can also help you feel any air. If you seal the port briefly, then release the seal the built up air will be more noticeable.

good luck if you should decide to accept this mission…

coachgeo

I recently bought an inline PacBrake with a footswitch, which may be helpful in reducing my demands on the brakes. I have learned to down shift and stab the brakes only as much as necessary going down steep hills .
whooooo... you snuck that in.. do tell... not heard about a foot switch... what does that do?

Ronmar

whooooo... you snuck that in.. do tell... not heard about a foot switch... what does that do?
all kinds of ways to control a pacbrake, a floor mounted foot switch I suspect you simply Press sw = brake on, release sw=brake off.

It could also be tied to the brake light circuit so enough brake pedal to turn on the 5PSI brake light switch rolls on the ex brake valve.

I liked the config the last truck i drove that had one used. Had a master on/off sw and the ECU used throttle position and RPM for control. Any throttle = brake off, release pedal = brake on until you dropped close to idle RPM then brake off. You want to go, you press the pedal you want to coast, hold very light pedal, you want to slow, release pedal, want to really slow shift to brake pedal. Very easy and intuitive control i left the brake sw on all the time, and didn’t use the brake pedal much except when I actually wanted to come to a stop…

will need some kind of pulse count/RPM sense circuit to implement this method on my A0 pac brake, but a left foot switch could also serve the master on/off control in place of an RPM sense, to allow the throttle sw to then modulate the butterfly valve.

the thing with ex brakes is you really want to exercise them regularly to keep them healthy. I think pacbrake even makes a controller that does this automatically at every startup…