• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Brake Protection Valve leaking/venting

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wife was driving Shrek this weekend with yours truly riding shotgun (a normal scenario). We noticed that the air was bleeding down pretty fast at long traffic lights as the brakes were held, so I had a look when we got home. I found that air was venting pretty heavily out of the front Service glad hand vent and the Air Brake Protection Valve on the frame over the rear axle. After some troubleshooting and talking to Suprman ( Thanks Will! ), I found that the check valve for the front Service glad hand had debris under the diaphragm and the Air Brake Protection Valve had a crack in the rubber disc on top that acts like a check valve. After some quick cleaning and repairs, all is well and Shrek holds air like normal. It amazes me sometimes how simple problems can be such a headache to find and bring things to a halt.
20150902_191415.jpg 20150902_191430.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see there are 3 chambers...I assuming they are all the same size...I will repalce them all, quite simple and can be done wile protection valve is still on the truck, mine fell to pieces when I removed it.

Ue413

I've got a similar sounding leak, and have been checking check valves and other valves all over the truck with no success yet. Did you notice the leak only when you had the brake pedal depressed, or was it when you disengaged the parking brake as well?

if I air up my truck and then shut it down and release park break....the front emergency glad hand leaks.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My leak was when the brakes were being held, like at a traffic light. You could hear the air venting over the running truck and watch the air gauge drop.
I've got a similar sounding leak, and have been checking check valves and other valves all over the truck with no success yet. Did you notice the leak only when you had the brake pedal depressed, or was it when you disengaged the parking brake as well?

if I air up my truck and then shut it down and release park break....the front emergency glad hand leaks.

kenet3621

Here is the old diaphragm that was in the TPV (Tractor Protection Valve). Easy to see it was totally wasted...
IMAG2544.jpg

New one installed in less than 10 minutes. No more leaking of air! Pressing on the brake pedal and no loss of air pressure in front or the rear systems.

Again my thanks to Andyrv6av8r !

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

The wife was driving Shrek this weekend with yours truly riding shotgun (a normal scenario). We noticed that the air was bleeding down pretty fast at long traffic lights as the brakes were held, so I had a look when we got home. I found that air was venting pretty heavily out of the front Service glad hand vent and the Air Brake Protection Valve on the frame over the rear axle. After some troubleshooting and talking to Suprman ( Thanks Will! ), I found that the check valve for the front Service glad hand had debris under the diaphragm and the Air Brake Protection Valve had a crack in the rubber disc on top that acts like a check valve. After some quick cleaning and repairs, all is well and Shrek holds air like normal. It amazes me sometimes how simple problems can be such a headache to find and bring things to a halt.
View attachment 579184 View attachment 579185
What was the part # for your unit? I know there are different TPVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks