• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Cleaner Repair M1008

Abbylind

The wing nuts to the air cleaner (M1008 ) had stripped out at the upper air cleaner cover level. They would also spin around as the engine idled. I took a couple of rubber o ring washers and placed them under the wing nuts. This gave them new threads to bite and the rubber keeps them from backing out.

PS: I checked the all-thread studs and made sure they were secure in the intake first.

Attachments

Jersey4x4

there is supposed to be rubber attached to the base of the wing nuts to do exactly the same thing. The nuts will walk off the studs if not there.

cpf240

there is supposed to be rubber attached to the base of the wing nuts to do exactly the same thing. The nuts will walk off the studs if not there.
Interesting... on my M1009 one is a standard wing nut and washer, and the other is a one-piece wing nut with a washer-like base that has a nub on the bottom to mate with grooves in the air cleaner cover. This, I presume, keeps it from vibrating loose.

Which one is original? I'd have to say the one-piece unit. This is what I recall from other older trucks I've seen. Maybe there was a difference depending on the year? Mine is an '84.

( The shiny spot at the top is the nub, which is a bit worn down )

Attachments

acesneights1

A word of caution. I take a nut and put it on top of the wing and jam it against the wing nut. I had a 6.2 where the air cleaner stud broke loose at the base and wobbled around , worked loose from the nut and got sucked into the engine. it was not a good day and cost me a prefectly good engine. It was completely destroyed.

Cliffinator

When i bought my truck it had the second filter screen over the element, I bought a new wix filter for the truck and there was none on it. However while at work i had to get a filter for a 92 chevy 3500 with a 6.2, bought a new wix and it had the second filter thing in the box with it...dont know it they are different part numbers or not....

Anubis8472

Interesting... on my M1009 one is a standard wing nut and washer, and the other is a one-piece wing nut with a washer-like base that has a nub on the bottom to mate with grooves in the air cleaner cover. This, I presume, keeps it from vibrating loose.

Which one is original? I'd have to say the one-piece unit. This is what I recall from other older trucks I've seen. Maybe there was a difference depending on the year? Mine is an '84.

( The shiny spot at the top is the nub, which is a bit worn down )
My 1009 is the same way one side has washer, other side has the indent.

I'd say the nut/washer is a replacement after the factory nut bailed out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks