• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air comming out of air cleaner

drmeece

I'm new to the Deuce and don't really know how it's suposed to sound..But on my 72 with c turbo I hear a loud thumping sound comming from the mushroom top..I can put my hand up to it and feel air pulsing out of it..In my mind I'm thinking this is not right..This truck also has overheating issues..I'm thinking stuck valve or something. I did do a serch but couldn't find anything like this..

drmeece

Re: RE: Air comming out of air cleaner

FMJ said:
Where did you get this truck?
Well I got it local from a couple of guys that know just alittle more about them than I do. Actually the trucks not in bad shape it's just got acouple of issues (I think) that hopefully I can take care of with out too much expence...Oh yeah how much is a head..lol

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Air comming out of air cleaner

Could be tight or very loose valves. Pull the lids and give it a good tune up and see what happens.

drmeece

Re: RE: Re: RE: Air comming out of air cleaner

WillWagner said:
Could be tight or very loose valves. Pull the lids and give it a good tune up and see what happens.
could you tell me what tm covers that..Thank you

drmeece

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Air comming out of air cleaner

Update...I've got a broken push rod on the exhaust valve on #2 cylinder..Also there is a very small amount of miosture on the rocker arms..I'm hoping just condensation but probably a small crack..I think I'll try some stop leak or aluma seal in it first before replacing a head..Do you guys know of anyplace local to Cincinnati that I can get a pushrod. Also the front bearing in the water pump is bad..Can that be rebuilt or do I have to replace the whole water pump???

FreightTrain

Banned

Yikes.That is bad.Might wanna go ahead and do a top end rebuild.Make sure a valve didn't come in contact with a piston.Changing pistons and sleeves are easier than replacing an engine later when a damaged piston comes apart.Plus,The Stop leak stuff will do more damage than good!Clog the radiator,coolant passages,etc.If there is a crack,Replace the head.Might work for a week,a month or a year but it will start up again and usually at the worst possible time like when your 300 miles away from home on a trip and no one around to help.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Put air down the injector hole with both pushtubes out of the cylinder. If you hear air hissing out the intake or exhaust, there is a problem. If not, put another pushtube in it and set the valves and see what happens.

drmeece

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Air comming out of air cleaner

WillWagner said:
Put air down the injector hole with both pushtubes out of the cylinder. If you hear air hissing out the intake or exhaust, there is a problem. If not, put another pushtube in it and set the valves and see what happens.
Thanks I'll do that...Who sells pushrods????

drmeece

Udate#2 I got the parts I needed. Put engine back together alumi seal in the radiator..Now she runs so sweet and doesn't overheat...Thanks for your help guys..

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good luck with her, I hope she holds together! ;) and that your problems were a result of a valvetrain failure.

drmeece

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Air comming out of air cleaner

FreightTrain said:
Yikes.That is bad.Might wanna go ahead and do a top end rebuild.Make sure a valve didn't come in contact with a piston.Changing pistons and sleeves are easier than replacing an engine later when a damaged piston comes apart.Plus,The Stop leak stuff will do more damage than good!Clog the radiator,coolant passages,etc.If there is a crack,Replace the head.Might work for a week,a month or a year but it will start up again and usually at the worst possible time like when your 300 miles away from home on a trip and no one around to help.
What you said kept eating at me...So I went ahead and pulled the heads...This iws what I found.

I guess It's time for a rebuild...Thanks for putting it in my head....