• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compresser wrench

2deuce

I need to replace the belt on the air compresser. Looks like it takes a big wrench to separate the pulley. Is this correct? Where is the best place to get this tool? I checked the Saturn site and nothing is listed.
I drove the duece 200+ miles yesterday where the belt turned itself over on the pulley. Pulling a trailer with a 1946 K-5 International flatbed on it with one 5 mile 6% downhill grade. Luckily didn't get the low pressure buzze until I was parking it in the driveway.
Thanks

2deuce

I managed to get the nut and the 2 clamp bolts off the pulley but what is next? Took the old belt off also but its still rock solid together. How does it separate? Thanks

ironhorsethegeneral

You have a split pulley. If you turn the front half of the pulley counter clockwise that loosens up the belt. If you turn it clockwise that tightens up the belt. The front half of the pulley is on a threaded hub. Sometimes you can use your hand to tighten but a wrench does help.

2deuce

Thanks General for the heads up with that pulley. I've got to figure out how to hold the back side of the pulley from turning. The back side of the pulley is up against the pump so that only a very narrow wrench will fit in there.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should get Robert to make that wrench too. Anyone know what size off the top of their head?

2deuce

If somebody has one for each side that would be ideal. I used a big cresent to hold the front to get the nut off but the back side is the problem now.

dirtyfingernails

My question is how do you get access to the nut INSIDE the pulley (I think it's 1 and 1/8 inch). Do you have to pull the radiator? I tried loosening the radiator bolts (bottom) and the topside brackets, but still couldn't get past the radiator shroud.

comdiver

I have made some of the wrenches and they work well. They are presision CNC cut steel. I charge $30 for one or $50 for two with shipping in the US. If you are interested in the back wrench also I could make them also. I think the pair would sell for $50 with shipping.

bassetdeuce

I have made some of the wrenches and they work well. They are presision CNC cut steel. I charge $30 for one or $50 for two with shipping in the US. If you are interested in the back wrench also I could make them also. I think the pair would sell for $50 with shipping.
I have one of your compressor wrenches and I'm pleased with it. If you are going to make back wrenches I would like one of those too.

comdiver

I will draw it up and see what intrest there is. I think I would make it like the front wrench (thickness and lenght). Let me know if you want one or a set.