• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor / Diesel Engine

IronPig

Last Summer I picked up an Air compressor in a local auction (not GL). the injectors were really gummed up with carbon/etc and I had to soak them for weeks before they would flow fuel. Finally put it back together and it fired right up but one cylinder was not firing. I found that I was having similar problems with the high pressure injection pump (BOSCH) for that cylinder. I pulled the pump, then had to attend to some customers in the shop and one of my buddies took the injection pump apart without noting the timing (maybe clocking is a better term) of the injection pistles.

I don't know how they are supposed to be (clocked?) and would love to have some help here from someone that has seen one of these before. If you have one, or have access to one and can pull one of the output valves out as shown below and snap a quick pick it should be all I need to have a fine tuned green machine again. Please help if you are able!

Pics follow:

Does anyone know anything about these little diesel engines

Attachments

IronPig

Does anyone know the purpose of this compressor? It seems to have several stages to the compressor that are used to ramp up the PSI to maybe 5,000 PSI?

I've been told that these are used to start jet turbine engines on an airfield.

I'd like to convert it to just pump as many CFM as possible at 225 PSI. Is this possible or did I just buy scrap metal?

Thanks!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In your fourth picture, you have the data plate. Can you read and post the information on that data plate? It might help someone find the correct manual for you.

Isaac-1

You have a Davey MC1A compressor, there are several variants of that use the same basic engine and compressor, I think the primary purpose of this particular type was general high pressure air for aircraft servicing. Other versions were used for pressurizing nitrogen systems and yet others for high pressure breathing air systems. I have a close cousin to your unit A 2MC1A with slightly different options, I have converted mine to use to fill scuba tanks. These units are somewhat popular with paintball operations, the safety blowoff is set from the from the factory at 3575 psi on this version, other versions using the same compressor block are set as high as 4500 psi. These compressors effectively output about 12.5 cfm of air at 3500 psi (rated at 15 cfm, but some of it is used by the continous bleed drains). If your looking for a low pressure compressor your best bet is to sell this unit, and buy one that will do what you need. In good condition these units often sell for $2,500 - 3,500 on ebay, often you will find them listed with much higher asking buy it now prices. For information and parts, manuals check with protecair.com also sells on ebay under the name bargainmarge.

Ike

IronPig

Thanks Ike! And thank you very much for helping me get my hands on the operating and repair manuals too! It's a great start.:D

I wasn't able to find any information on clocking the injector pump pistles - just how to set the flow rate on the pump with shims. I don't have the SST required to determine fuel injection start point - if i did I may be able to determine the correct clocking.

Maybe I can find a manual describing how to rebuild the injector pump itself. That would probably have the information I need.

snowtrac nome

they are a little hard to get parts for they do have a neat feature that deutz doesn't have there is a lever for a fuel shut off if the fan belt breaks. Note to self if it shuts down for no fuel check the fan belt.

kwfiggatt

That injector pump looks like two common jerk pumps in the same housing. There should be a rack which rotates the plunger, which changes the orientation of the spill port to control the amount of fuel it puts out. long story short, there should be a dot on the rack and a dot or two on the gear that rotates the plunger to align for proper timing of the rack to the plunger gear. If there are two dots and one dot on the mating part, the two dots should be on adjacent gear teeth. Put the single dotted gear tooth between the two dots and it should be in time. If there are only one dot on each part, then line them up and it should be in time.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Guyfang

Staff member
Give us a good picture, or pictures, of the engine.

If you can find the dots like Kevin told you about, do what he told you to do. If it doesn't work, you may be 180 degrees out. Time it again, pull the pump out and turn the engine over until the marks line up again, and reinstall.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks