• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor hot / how does it oil

sermis

On I just got this truck today. Went for the test drive. Most went well except for the air compressor getting hot, very hot. If was hot enough to melt the fuel return line. I noticed new red silicone on the bottom so I am assuming there has been some problems. Any idea what is wrong. It pumps air quick.
Numbers on the truck if someone wants to ID it for me.
W80T88 7086 0001
ID#04H-91371 0539 12032
contract
DAAE 06-70-C-0001

bumper numbers
773BN
239MP HQ13

Attachments

sermis

RE: Air compressor hot / turbo ID / truck history

No it melted. Thermo said 300 degrees 5 minutes after shutting down. Just got off the phone from the guy I got it from. Said when he got the truck the compresor on it was burned up and they replaced it with a good compresor from another truck. He is thinking a oil line / oil issue.

sermis

Lots of smoke. With my hearing I can't here if it is spooling or not. I will have to check it when I get the compressor fixed.

sermis

I pulled the air compressor off of the truck. You can use a wrench to turn it over but it is really tight. I also notice some metal flaking in the bottom. Hoping there was not too much metal dumped into the motor. How does the compressor get oiled when the truck is running? I do not see any oil lines going to the compressor.
If you look close at the nuts on the rods the plastic insie has melted.

Attachments

bottleworks

Isn't the oil passage is covered up with all that gasket goo? There was no need for all that goo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Sure looks covered up to me BW. Steve, check that base where the compressor bolts down. From the drivers fender the right side of that base has an oil passage that feeds up to the compressor. I'd hammer out a gasket myself rather than using goo to seal that. I make my own just don't forget that passage.

dlawbrey

I believe it is oiled thru a small hole in the base of the compressor. We changed one last week due to silicone covering the hole.Took out the bearings on the compressor rods

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

There should be residual oil inside the compressor.......looks dry to me......

sermis

Re: RE: Air compressor hot / turbo ID / truck history

dlawbrey said:
I believe it is oiled thru a small hole in the base of the compressor. We changed one last week due to silicone covering the hole.Took out the bearings on the compressor rods
Who's truck? Sure it was not this one? If just came from LA.

sermis

RE: Re: RE: Air compressor hot / turbo ID / truck history

Well I found out where it oils from. I will spray oil 4' in the air. I don’t know why they put silicone on the base like that. It has a gasket on the base and then the silicone, lot and lots of silicone.

BEASTMASTER

RE: Re: RE: Air compressor hot / turbo ID / truck history

looks like they put on the old type that just uses it's own resorvoir. i've got one on my 5 ton.you fill it with half quart oil and forget it. on the back there's a little three eights plug.put in oil till it starts coming out of the hole,and put the plug back in.then just forget it. thats what i've been told anyway. good luck. :driver:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you cleaned out the inside of the comp. before you took the pictures it dosen't look like it's ever seen the first drop of oil. It's a wonder it lasted as long as it did.

In the pic of the turbo it looks like a D to me.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no oil

m16ty said:
Unless you cleaned out the inside of the comp. before you took the pictures it dosen't look like it's ever seen the first drop of oil. It's a wonder it lasted as long as it did.

In the pic of the turbo it looks like a D to me.
I agree, Steve. If you didn't wash the comp. out with brake clean, it looks like it had no oil in it. I think Saturn has the correct gasket. It is a permaseal type...meaning it has a small bead of silicone based sealant around the gasket. It requires no other sealer. The P/N on the one I have is, 12380057. It is out of an engine OVH kit. The oil hole is .250 diameter. I wouldn't put that back on. I'd also give it an oil and filter change. AHH the joys of silicone!

sermis

RE: no oil

Yes I am going to put new gaskets. No silicone. The one that the compressor mounts on to the base and the one the base mounts to the motor. They gobbed the silicone on it too. I have a parts truck and I think the compressor on it is good, just a knock ,knock in the motor when running.
I knew that it had to get oil somewhere just did not know from where. I have neer pulled one off before.
No I did not wash out the compressor, it is how it came off the truck.