• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor Issues

Capriceii

Well I fired up my baby for a Christmas Eve run to my mothers and after warm up I noticed a weird noise coming from under the hood. So I popped it open and the sound was coming from the Air Compressor. I felt the unit and it was much warmer then the surrounding engine. It was making sort of a popping sound.

So I went in the cab and sure enough there was no air pressure at all.

So my question is first what is the best TM to consult for problem solving?

Is it the Compressor or some other part of the system that is making the compressor act weird?

Can I drive the truck to a repair facility?

Thanks Guys for any and all help!

and have a Merry Christmas!

rlwm211

Chances are that you have a frozen valve or other component in the compressor or the regulator circuit as suggested by HeavySteven. I would get some heat under the hood; carefully! A lot of nice vehicles have been turned into cripsy critters by doing this the wrong way. In all honesty, a block heater would warm the entire engine bay and anything attached to the engine to a temperature that is at least above freezing.

Mine did this the other day when I started it. I ran it for a few minutes and shut it down and let the heat of the manifolds and engine soak into the rest of the stuff under the hood, and then when I fired it up again everything worked fine.

It is not that I hate winter, it is just that I have had enough of it already....

RL

Last edited:

Capriceii

HeavySteven: Thank you did take a look at that, this morning, opened it up and it was clean. I got a little hiss of what little pressure was left in the system.. So I started the truck up figured I could get some air passing out as a trouble shooting measure. Truck ran fine, the Air Compressor was making the same noise so after 5 min with no pressure at all at the regulator I shut it down.

Then a hunch.. Disconnect the main air line coming from the compressor. Did that started the truck and the noise is gone and air was coming out of the compressor. So I am thinking bad or frozen check valve on the air pack? When to air packs after reconnecting air line open the valves and there was not a lick of air in them..

So It has to be the check valve, we have been in the 20's all week, frozen or bad check valve? Can I apply heat to the check valve? What do you think rlwm211, HeavySteven? any one? Thank guys!

1redgmc

I've used a Wagner Heat Gun (the kind for removing paint) in these kind of situations with great success. Just use a little care to keep it moving so as not to overheat any one area.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until you get the water cleaned out of the system & an alcohol sniffer on her, take that line off the compressor and put a couple of tablespoons of Ban Ice/Heat/Air line antifreeze, in it. It will still take a while for the stuff to make it through whole system.

Munk

Rosco is right on the money with this one. I run my duece year around and have had the same problem. I have thought on the alcohol sniffer but not sure what to use here (med. duty or regular semi tractor one). another thing that works good is put in a different threaded end with a quick coupler,( bypass the copper line) and add in a short chunk of air hose (like from a regular air compressor) and on the tank end the quick coupler (tool end). when it freezes up disconnect the hose, take it inside to let it thaw out and when putting it back on put a little bit of air line antifreeze in it.

Capriceii

Oh so the Gallon I poured in this morning was a bad idea? LOL it warmed up a bit here. So this morning I did disconnect the air line from the compressor and put some line antifreeze/deicer in. Started her up and with in a few min she started building pressure.

And I know it worked its way through the system cause when I ran my wipers this morning the cab smelt like the stuff..

is that device really called an alcohol sniffer? And clue where I can get one?

Thanks again every one for the help and ideas!

Munk

Capriceii, i do believe thats what they are called. I would think any medium duty to heavy duty truck repair shop would have them. I guess i have never checked at napa.

Munk

I just called around and these are not available through parts stores like napa. They are available through heavy truck repair shops like Mack, Freightliner, ect.

RAYZER

While on the subject,the compressor on a deuce that I just bought has an issue, it sounds fine when running and builds pressure,but when shut down it leaks air (at an alarming rate) from the compressor intake. Is this an easy fix?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While on the subject,the compressor on a deuce that I just bought has an issue, it sounds fine when running and builds pressure,but when shut down it leaks air (at an alarming rate) from the compressor intake. Is this an easy fix?
Sounds like there is crud stuck in the reed valves. Taking the top off it and cleaning them up should help.

cxcman

Ok being a noobey and having no truck could you drive ( I know not safely) but in a emergency can you stop without air pressure?

Jake0147

Ok being a noobey and having no truck could you drive ( I know not safely) but in a emergency can you stop without air pressure?

Try it. Actually, I highly recommend that you try it. Stop the engine (in a SAFE place for this experiment), let the air tanks down, and while they're draining, go to the right rear glad hand. Remove the cover and open the valve. (You've just duplicated main line or tank failure...) When all the air is gone, try out the brakes. You will see that because your brakes are full hydraulic, you still do have "some" brakes. You will also see that without the assist mechanism in place (the air), they are not the same animal that they used to be.
While you're at it, try the "brake pedal fell to the floor" test too. That's the one where you DO NOT TOUCH the brake pedal at all, in any way, shape, or form, (You have to imagine the floppy pedal and the pinched seat) and see what it takes to get the truck to a stop. Try it on a little uphill and downhill grade as well. Or a big hill for that matter.

For something like that, you can not beat first hand experience when it comes to planning ahead adequately for driving a forty year old truck at modern speeds and in modern traffic.