• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor on a 6.2l diesel?

bubba_got_you

Air compressor on a 6.2ldiesel?
[FONT=&quot]Has anyone done this? I don’t mean like ac I mean like the compressor on a deuce. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
I apologize if this has been covered but I didn’t find it.
[/FONT]

Alredneck

Banned
I dont know for a fact but I would look into parts off of a old gasser dump ( C60 example )!

I have a old dump with a 427BB in it with a ?brand compressor. Also my International with the 6.9Navistar motor has a new Bendix unit ( not cheap new $450ish ). Where the problem lies is the oil return brackets the compressor mounts on. Im not sure if the 6.2 has provisions for this. I would think the Chevy big block stuff would convert over to the 6.2 but not 100% sure.

Worse come to worse, find a older York style ( a big box with pulley on front ) A/C compressor and convert it over for air compressor duty. This is easy to do and you can find info on folks that have done it on the net. Yorks are easy to find in the junkyards, look for 70-80s trucks and cars and you will find one. I had a 78 Ford F100 with one. Only bad is the output will be nowhere near the bendix unit from big truck apps.

motormayhem

Most people use york a/c compressors as they have an oil reservoir so they don't burn themselves up. Then it just runs off a belt and you make a circuit to run the clutch. Only problem is on a CUCV there is little room to mount it on the engine. I have a friend who did that on his civilian 6.2, put it where the cucv alt is, and he can fill up the entire off road clubs tires without taking a break and maintaining about 80 psi at idle. Also runs air tools.

allrevup

look for the treads about CUCV A/C instalation, they use the space under #2 alternator. Yorks are the ad-on gold standard=cost+size+avalibility. ColoradoK5.com has a tech article with good photos also.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for a HMMWV compressor. TWO WIRE 24v compressor. Find a place to mount it, bolt it in place, run electricity, plumb in a tank and your are good to go.

I believe this particular unit is connected to the CTIS system, but you would have to talk to a HMMWV owner, and that is NOT me. But I'm doing my own research now and that looks like the way I may end up going. NO DRAIN on the hp by adding yet another accessory to the crank...

I'm seriously considering changing my fan out to an electric to drop the drag from the crank.

I'm all for a compressor, but I don't want to drain a couple of hp to do it.

bubba_got_you

I'm seriously considering changing my fan out to an electric to drop the drag from the crank.

I'm all for a compressor, but I don't want to drain a couple of hp to do it.
[FONT=&quot]
I always go with electronic fans. When I had my m37 I got 12mpg with a 318 and I used a 16” electronic fan to cool it [/FONT]

allrevup

A, Hmmwv 24v. compresor should work great, if you have a 24 volts surce.
Not sure if you are going to used this on your 60's Suburban and if you are using 24v. A HD Viair portable is the way I went, Makes quick work out large tires inflation. I intended to mount a air tank to use with air tools. I never gat around to it, I use a 24v. Robotool impact wrench with the NATO plug.
Check this WWW.oasismfg.com for GSA contracted 12/24 volts air compresor alternatives.

Gunfreak25

I am putting a 6.2 HMMWV motor in my GMC in a few weeks. Just waiting for it to arrive. The truck is similar to the M35 series in that it uses an air compressor (big 2 cylinder) to make air power for the AIR PAK. I already fabbed up a mount to fit the same compressor to the 455 olds that used to be in the truck. It came out okay, was solid, had it belted, made a tensioner and everything. Never did get to try it out though since I decided to sell the motor. Found pitting in the cylinders and I didn't feel like driving around on a POS motor.

Sooner or later all of us car/truck guys face the task of putting something onto a motor that wasn't designed for it. Be it a compressor, alternator, power steering pump, whatever. If you can weld good and cut steel, you can do it. It just takes lots of patience and lots of brainstorming. After you've made your first successful mount you'll feel like you can do anything. No longer do you worry about finding bolt on crap, if you need it you just make it yourself. Plain and simple.

I will take pictures when I get the compressor mount made again. I can explain how I made it as well. Measurements if people want, too. I like to utilize off the shelf flat stock, tubing, etc.

Last edited:

Barrman

Or a power tank. Which is what I am thinking about a lot lately:

POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems

I added a York to my M715. M35 tanks under the bed and plumbed fittings to both bumpers. Works great! However, now that I drive the M1009 more. It is a lot of time, effort and money just sitting in a truck still at the house. I took the family Suburban 800 miles last month on a M101 recovery. The OBA on the M715 or the stock air systems on the M35's weren't there to help either.

Now that I have the former USAF Suburban powered by a 6.2. The number of vehicles without air is adding up. MCInfantry had a Powertank at a M715 gathering back in 2004. He aired up tires, ran air tools and even got a 44" Swamper bead on another persons truck to seat while it was covered in mud during a driving thunderstorm. He didn't run out of CO2 the entire week.

I just need to find a good used one because the new prices kind of shock me. However, if you are going to add a York. I would suggest buying new because I have gone through 4 junk yard ones on the M715. A deal is only a deal until it cost you more than buying new in the first place.

Your truck, do as you wish. Just wanted to point out another option that can be used on several vehicles.

chudson

Hi there,
I'm looking to do this on my 86 M1009 as well. I was looking for space on the frame for the tank, but it looks like I'm going to have to mount an air tank on the inside of the cab on top of the driver side wheel well. Definitely open to suggestions on tank placement if anyone has experience with this. FWIW I'm going the York compressor route.

Gunfreak25

Yep, I opted for a York 210 as well. Currently torn apart for seals/gaskets. Also picked up 2 junkyard units for $10 each.

Gunfreak25

I have a 6.2L in my M211 which is what I put the York on. Deuce's have a factory 8.65 gallon air capacity between the two chassis tanks.

i just ordered a Viair Extreme kit part #10009 should have it in a day or 2.... Dual 350cc 12v compressors, Duty Cycle: 100% @ 100 PSI, Max. Working Pressure: 150 PSI Also get the Switches, fittings, tank, gauge, etc... Everything to install.. Im also adding a 2nd tank for more of a reserve.. What little room i have left on 6.2 is reserved for Air conditioning down the road.....

Attachments