• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor Questions

oldshep

The other day after I drove my truck I drained the air tanks and one of them sprayed out a liquid that had a ''rainbow'' color appearance such as antifreeze( could it be antifreeze?).

I also noticed a drop of oil on the air line fitting coming out of the compressor.

Should I start looking for a new compressor or is this just normal wear?

Thanks!

sermis

Check your motor oil. I am not sure but I don't think antifreeze can get in unless the oil is contaminanted.

sermis

I think a little oil in the tanks is common. Mine does anyway, not a lot but a little from blow by. Oil will be rainbow in the sun but not green.

Scrounger

The air compressors on these trucks pretty much all have oil blow past the rings into the air system. Since the air tanks are at the bottom that’s where it ends up. Just normal to the truck and as a side benefit it keeps things from rusting.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try changing the filter in the air compressor.... Yes, it has one, and No, Im not nuts....

It's INSIDE part #10.. Take the 2 bolts off the bottom of part #10.. It's the same style thats in the M105A2 trailers.

Attachments

Barrman

What year truck do you have? The early Gasser trucks had water cooled air compressors is why I ask. If your compressor does not look like the one above, look for water lines connecting to the water pump. If you have that, then it could be a bad head gasket inside the compressor. That is the only reason I can think of for coolant to be in the air system.

NorthWoodsDuce

Speaking of Air Compressors.... I started my truck up today and worked on my bed lights. I had the trucking running while doing this because it was cold and I had not run it for a while. Air pressure was fine at first, when I got back into the truck... maybe 45 minutes later the air buzzer was on, and the air pressure was slowly dropping as I moved the truck back to it's parking spot... I checked for air leaks.. none. I flipped the hood and felt my air compressor.. it was hot.. as in I couldn't hold my hand on it for more than maybe 3 seconds. I shut the truck off and waited about an hour, started her back up and still could not get any air pressure to build.... Time for a new compressor? If so has anyone rebuilt theirs? or is it cheaper to find a NOS one? Thanks!

jwaller

sounds like you iced up and the compressor was running 100% trying to keep up. Let it warm up and see if it still does this.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a pressure relief valve on one of the air tanks, it may be frozen in the open position. Water may have been a factor and expansion during the freeze may have opened it. Heat it by grabbing it with your bare hand to warm it up.....

An alcohol evaporator should help prevent this kind of thing.

NorthWoodsDuce

It built and held air pressure at first when I started the truck. The air didn't leak out, it was just slowly dropping while I was using the brakes moving around. I assume it is something to do with the air compressor. I've never had it get that hot to the touch before. Also, is the 6x6 air activated? Because that wouldn't engage for me when it was low air pressure... I got stuck a couple times trying to move it around in the snow... that sucks... I hate NDT's... (speaking of which... where are places that sell rims for singles? at a good price.. I've read all the posts on tires..but can't find any reasonable priced rims...sorry off topic)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NorthWoodsDuce said:
.....I got stuck a couple times trying to move it around in the snow... that sucks... I hate NDT's... ()
Be fair to the tires, just changing them to radials may not help that much.
Also traction is directly proportional to the load on the tires...add cargo.

If you really need to drive in the snow and on ice, install chains, they are not outdated.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to check your governor for the air compressor, that's what controls when the compressor is pumping. I think it's on the firewall, but been a while since I looked. I've had one go bad before, and what your describing is what happened.

sermis

Might also check the small copper tube that runs from the compressor to the firewall. I had mine snap off at the compressor. It was building air and then nothing. I could not tell it from looking at it but it had broken at the nut.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The copper tube coming off the compressor on my truck rubbed up against the shroud/light surround support today while on the way to load out at Mechanicsburg today and resulted in a nice 1/8" hole in the line. Lost pressure quick, but was able to hold it at 60 lbs. while moving.

SO, do I patch/repair or replace? If replace, where to find? Can I just use copper tubing in same OD/ID?

Any help or knowledge is greatly appreciated. I need to fix fast.

Also, to put alchohol in the line/tanks, where is the best access point?

Thanks,