• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air compressor TM...Is there such a beast..?

islandguydon

I have a 71 single head air compressor, I have looked HI & lo for a TM which shows the breakdown of the complete system and to no avail.

If some one out there in SS land has a TM to post, I for one would be greatly appreciative.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -34p has the compresser breakdown , i don't think there is a air system specific TM . You will need to search the various components .

SSG ALBANESE

I too am looking for a rebuild kit. I have an extra New (i dont know how old, has vietnam OD) never mounted compressor. I want to tear it open and replace the gaskets. My current installed one is leaking. I will post pics on lunch break : )

islandguydon

I have exhaustedly looked for a rebuild kit but to no avail. I guess I am going to replace it with a NOS and keep the old one for parts.

ccf460

I too am looking for a rebuild kit. I have an extra New (i dont know how old, has vietnam OD) never mounted compressor. I want to tear it open and replace the gaskets. My current installed one is leaking. I will post pics on lunch break : )
I will be watching this one, wanting to see inside the back cover, mine is leaking.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have a leak from a bottom seal/gasket. Is there a rebuild kit available or a simple gasket kit out there..?
Leaking at the very bottom base of the compressor where it mounts to the block? If so, that's a gasket that has a oil supply passage in it. The oil drain also passes back through that section as well. Always use the gasket to replace. The TM has all the info on how to remove the pump and reinstall/adjust belt.

gungearz

Mine is leaking a little also. I did briefly google it and came up with nothing. I plan on being a cheap skate about it and head over to the parts store to buy gasket material and just cut out my own gasket. Can't beat that for $5 and you got material left over to do More gaskets.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please read my post before you do that. Using silicone will certainly lead to failure of the compressor from lack of oil. If you make a gasket, make sure you make the oil passage port correctly. The factory gasket also has a silicone ring around the perimeter.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just wanted make sure you noticed it since your post was a minute after mine. The pumps can be installed with silicone/incorrect cut gasket, it will even run correctly for a little while. Then it will come apart.

islandguydon

Leaking at the very bottom base of the compressor where it mounts to the block? If so, that's a gasket that has a oil supply passage in it. The oil drain also passes back through that section as well. Always use the gasket to replace. The TM has all the info on how to remove the pump and reinstall/adjust belt.
The TM is what I was originally looking for but can't find. I did do a search for it a few weeks back.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is leaking a little also. I did briefly google it and came up with nothing. I plan on being a cheap skate about it and head over to the parts store to buy gasket material and just cut out my own gasket. Can't beat that for $5 and you got material left over to do More gaskets.
Last place you want to be a cheap skate on a 7 ton plus chunk of iron is on the brakes, especially over a $10 gasket . The gasket material isn't going to be much cheaper.

Anyone who would cut corners on a braking system on a heavy truck should probably find a different hobby , if for no other reason than the safety of everyone else on the road .

islandguydon

I found TM 9-2320-361-34P Thats a complete breakdown of the Deuce but no TM specifically for an air compressor. Does anyone have a line on a rebuild kit for a 71 single cylinder compressor..?

EDIT: This is all I found so far.

Attachments

Last edited:

gungearz

Maybe all the years of modeling, tattooing and tedious work allow me to cut gaskets as good as factory gaskets with an exacto knife. That I am confident enough to use them. I wouldn't use them if I didnt trust it. As long as its good or better then OEM material then I shall try to repair it. Especially if it is a real hard part to find. Not all of us has the means to just go grab the part somewhere. Part numbers come a dime a dozen but a lot of them do not come up at your local parts store. So we do what we have to do to get the job done correctly.

3dAngus

Also, just saw this on another thread, compliments of gringeltaube

I just bought one for a spare parts kit. Not sure if it will work or not, but for $6.95 with free shipping, I can just throw it away.

The diagram below does not show the two holes. I'm wondering if those are the two holes Patracy is referring to.
The picture of the sale item gasket has two holes in it. It seems even if the two holes were not on the deuce, the gasket has enough material to cover all around without issue. Not sure of all compressors are form, fit, and function on all models. The Tech Order reference at the top right hand side of the diagram may give more information.

Attachments

Last edited:

calvin3103

compressor question anybody?

i just picked up a M52A1 1969 tractor and there is no air hiss for the brakes, when i start it up it only will only show on the gauge less than 30 psi and when i rev it up it will go up then back down. i changed the governer hoping it was the problem but was not, i took off the intake and was sucking not strong, then took off the one to the governer and its barrley throwing out air, when at idle does any one know how to tell if the compressor is bad? my first mac ENDT673, my M62A1 wrecker has belt compressor and when i start that up instanly hiss out the open valve for drain the air tank,this problem is new to me im lost on the tractor, i have been downloading the TMs is still have to find the correct one.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just picked up a M52A1 1969 tractor and there is no air hiss for the brakes, when i start it up it only will only show on the gauge less than 30 psi and when i rev it up it will go up then back down. i changed the governer hoping it was the problem but was not, i took off the intake and was sucking not strong, then took off the one to the governer and its barrley throwing out air, when at idle does any one know how to tell if the compressor is bad? my first mac ENDT673, my M62A1 wrecker has belt compressor and when i start that up instanly hiss out the open valve for drain the air tank,this problem is new to me im lost on the tractor, i have been downloading the TMs is still have to find the correct one.
Post #9 of this thread has a link that may provide some useful information for you;
M52A1 air compressor governor slow release

Have searched these tm's ; TM9-2320-211-20.pdf
TM9-2320-211-20P.pdf

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....The diagram below does not show the two holes. ............................The picture of the sale item gasket has two holes in it. It seems even if the two holes were not on the deuce, the gasket has enough material to cover all around without issue. .....................
I'm sure they put two holes in the gasket because Soldier B might not be aware of the fact that...........

This is how the compressor looks like, at the bottom... with its oil inlet port clearly visible.

G.

Attachments